new rider, forst bike. what do i get?

agust20

Sep 6, 2009
hey guys, names Agustin. im from california and just sold my car and looking for a dirt bike to have some fun in.

Ive never riden a bike and need some advice on what to get.
i dont want to upgrade any time soon and im done growing. Im thinking of something that will deliver a punch but thats in my price range. Thannks for the help.

5'4 145lb
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? very
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Trails mostly/ no track
4) Do you have any riding experience? NO
5) Do you think you will race ? NO
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? i am/idk
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? heard 2 strokes have a nice kick(i want a nice kick)
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?NO
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?1500 tops
10) Do you live in California? YES
11) Your age? 21
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
dont lead me wrong. i dont want a starter bike because i dont want to sell and upgrade soon. id rather get something in the midlle and take it slow.

Thanks For Any Help!

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
The modern 4-strokes have more of a kick than you think so i wouldn't discount them other than i'm not sure that you'll do the maintenance yourself which will make it pricey to have the shop do it. I'm thinking maybe an xr250ish or kawasaki kdx might fit your size and fit your price range/mechanical ability but i'm really not sure. I'd wait for someone else to give a suggestion

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
At 5'4", seat height will be an issue with many bikes. There are only a handful of 2 strokes that are designed for the trail...KDX 200/220 or an older Yamaha WR...both of those bikes would likely be too tall. Even 125 2 strokes will be too tall....maybe an XR200??

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
5' 4" and 145 lb is the same weight as my good friend who I occasionally ride with. We've been looking seriously at a late 90's KDX200 /KDX220. It'll have the kick you want, and it'll run darned near forever.

Top Bottom