New Riders w/ Old Bikes; what's next ?

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
Background:
My son is 11 and a new rider. His bike, '88 KDX80, is at the shop for repairs. Purchased knowing it didn't run. I'm 43 and a new rider. We're gonna learn together. Picked up my '88 KDX200 last night. Starts easily and stops okay. First and second gear work before I run out of driveway. That's all I know. Neither of the bikes has a manual.

Question:
After I buy the manuals and do the stuff in it. What would you recommend I inspect or replace w/o hesitation ? There must be a list of stuff you should do to a used bike that one doesn't do to a new bike, like break in period ?

K D

Oct 8, 2005
Check wheel bearings and all pivot points. Look for missing, loose or broken fasteners. Change fluids.

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Agreed, I would also inspect/replace the air filter, open up the carb to see what jet(s) size I had. Needle clip position as well. Good luck!

Jan 16, 2005
Haycock, congrats, it's great to hear (cough') more "mature" people getting into the sport. You guys should have a blast. I think the most negleted things as mentioned would be the bearings. Steering head,wheels, etc. Assume nothing. Check everything. There's some good threads on here about spoke tightening, carb cleaning, how and why to check your plug, how much smoke is too much smoke, strange clacking sounds and of course good sources for replacement parts.

You would happened to be the guitar playing Haycock from PA would you?
Good Luck.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
In addition to the above mentioned items, I would also look very closely at some of the more obvious things like brake pads and tires. If you are trying to learn to ride on a bike with bad brakes, worn tires, and bad wheel bearings, you will be fighting the bike so much that all you will learn to do is fall correctly. :yikes: I've been down that road and it's not fun at all. Good luck and have fun!

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the insight; but lets get one thing clear, I'm far from 'mature' and I don't play the guitar. The only musical thing I play is the radio, and as far as falling down - I'm a mountain biker and experience taught me, always fall up hill.

Question 2:
Are there any special tools I should get ? Aftermarket do-dad or homemade gadget that makes life a whole lot easier, safety, and simplier ? There is nothing like a good finger pinch, knuckle bust, eye poke, fluid spill . . .

Last edited:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Get some barkbusters (aluminum handguards). I'd recommend Enduro Engineering, Cycra or Moose. I have the Acerbis Rally Pros and I'm not happy with them.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
1) T-handle socket wrenches in 8mm, are 10mm are the two tools I grab the most from My tool box.
2) take the clutch perch and front brake perch off the handlbars and wrap teflon tape around the handle bars, re-install the brake and clutch perch's over the tape and snug up the mounting bolts til you can still move the levers up and down with some resistance. This way when the bike falls down you have a better chance of not bending or breaking the levers.
3) Check chain tension-slak, every ride till you learn how often it needs adjusting. My guess would be 3-4 hours of ride time.
4) Change tranny fluid often, its cheep insurance against engine damage.
5) Take your son trail riding as often as possible, this will up your coolness factor considerably, and make all his friends jellous as all heck.

nrvs-nelly

Oct 25, 2003
KDXruss said:
Agreed, I would also inspect/replace the air filter, open up the carb to see what jet(s) size I had. Needle clip position as well. Good luck!
IMO I'm not sure that someone who is not familiar with bikes and is just starting out should be tinkering with the jetting. Bushings , bearings and basic cleaning of the oil, fluids and filter would a good starting point. Have fun and enjoy the time with your son! I'm looking forward to my kids riding soon. :)

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
Thanks - we greatly appreciate the tips. Now if I can only learn to start it w/o running my shin into the foot peg.

For the record, I have two sons and the youngest, 8YO, has been riding his PW50 for over two months now. I apologize to him and the readers for not including him earlier because he rides a PW; but he tells me he'll be riding his brother's KDX before middle school. It was also his idea to buy dirt bikes so we can ride as a family. (Mom/wife will only consider a golf cart at this time - we'll wait and see.) And, he has named is bike FRED.

Question 3:
Again, our KDX's are '88 - other than exhaust and intake mods (most popular changes noticed) what would you recommend as 'must do' upgrades on a pair of bikes so old ? I'm not a mechanic, but I am a field service tech and can pretty must fix anything given the tools, manual and parts to include cold beer.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
Bearing replacement and cleaning are a big part of the dirt riding lifestyle. Making routine maintenance of the bearing cleanings and fluid changes will make for a much more fun and fulling experience.

Also, learn as much about jetting your Kdx's as possible. It is likely that you will have to make adjustments from winter to summer, if you like to have optimum performance all year round. If not, and you enjoy spooge and fouled plugs, More power to you!

Our KDX is on it's 5th year without any topend maintenance (new piston or rings) I attribute this to very high quality oils in the premix and transmissions, regular cleaning of the air filter element, spot on jetting and proper warmup procedures.
All things I learned here on this site.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…