kstout4life

Aug 2, 2004
i put a couple heat cycles on my new top end and decided to put around on it for a little. i got the engine to temp and putted around in 1,2,3 but when i was puttin in 3rd i started to hear a loud clank coming from the engine. i pulled the clutch in and let it idle and still could hear the loud clanging. i put it away and let it cool then started it up but couldnt hear it, putted around on it and again started to clank very loud. its only doing it when i put around which puzzles me. does anyone have a clue what it might be?? plz help me with any bit of info u know, this is really bugging me because i do not want this to escalate into somethin disasourous! thanx for reading. Nic

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
was anything else replaced/messed with other than the top end?

i really do not have any clue of what could be clanking... after i clean the powervalves on my bike they are a little bit louder, but its not a type of clank...

maybe the powervalves could be contacting the piston, maybe the ring is catching a port??? (just a guess)

i wouldent ride it anymore, take it apart and check every thing out...

kstout4life

Aug 2, 2004
i dumped all the oil out of the powervalves so i did noticed they ran a little louder. but i have a feeling its the ring, because when i went to put it on the ring would not want to set where the knotch is. i guess i will have to open it back up and take a look at whats going on. :ahhh

and no just the top end was messed with, before i did the top end i replaced the clutch plates but i already test rode it before i messed with the top end to make sure i got that right

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
Well... it is very important that the ring is staying with the retaining pin...

The ring will not stay there if it is not compressed...
Check to make sure that the little letter on the ring is facing up...
The letter is usually located right at the end of the ring, where it splits, I think most of the stuff I have the letter is always N, but im sure that varies with make and models...
Also check that you installed the piston in the correct way, the arrow points forward, to the exhaust port.

kstout4life

Aug 2, 2004
i figured the problem! the screw holding the powervalve liknkage arm on the pv actuator was barely hand tight. so i screwed it on tight and checked the piston and rings and they looked good and set right. so im gonna put it back together tommorow and get it started and listen for any noises. Thanx for all ur help! :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom