domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I ride the forests in northern california. Typically I will go from hardpack to soft to rock to mud to shale(ouch) to streams to snot...never much sand. Tried quite a few tires.The combo I really like is rear:Michelin Cross Competition front:Dunlop Sports 739. Tires do make a difference.
Dave

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
We ride everything from clay to sand, about the only thing we don't ride is rocks. I'd suggest a MS2 or S12 front and an S12 rear for just about everything.

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
I have a question on this subject. I've done a search here that has answered part of my question on tire size. However, I am still unclear on tire sizes.

I am running the stock gearing on my '03 220. 13/47. Stock tires 100/100x18. This set up works good but a slight change in ratio (ie. larger tire size) may affect my low end. Can someone explain the math on tire size. Specifically, I'm looking at running a 110/100x18 and I'm not sure what this will do to my gear ratio. Since I'm not clear on what these numbers mean, I don't know how much wider and or taller a 110/100 or 120/100 tire would be. I would like to understand this relationship so I will know if I need to make an adjustment in gears.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I spent 2 hours last night looking through old posts. The longer I looked, the less I understood. :eek:

Thanks in advance,
Robb

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
I run Maxxis IT's and couldn't be happier---well that's not true, but as far as tires go... :cool:

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
Tires:

the first number is the width. The second is the heighth and a PERCENTAGE (iirc) of the width. Meaning... your 100/100 18 is, in theory, as tall as it is wide. So going to a 110/100 will give you a slightly larger diameter, but I don't know that anyone would notice it near as much as they'll notice the extra width.

To make matters a bit more complicated... some companies measure the width of only the casing, others measure at some other spot (knobs?) which reads wider. I run Michelin Cross Competition in the front (it's an MS2 or S12, not sure) and an S12 rear. My rear is something like a 130/80 which is the same as your 110/100.

I know it's odd. The point is, you can go a bit wider and be fine.

-Dawg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom