henry.chaney

Mar 16, 2006
Just bought my 12 yr old a 03 YZ85, we have only had 4 stokes in the past. Can some one please advise me on the maintance, (the guy i bought it from cant find the owners manual):
ratio of premix to use (past owner told me 50:1)?
type of pre-mix to use?
what kind of oil to use/how often to change it?
how often to clean or change air filter?
what to clean filter with? what type oil to use on it?
Any other maintance tips you got for me would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chaney

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
henry.chaney said:
Just bought my 12 yr old a 03 YZ85, we have only had 4 stokes in the past. Can some one please advise me on the maintance, (the guy i bought it from cant find the owners manual):
type of pre-mix to use?
Any other maintance tips you got for me would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chaney

32:1 would probably be better in a small bore 85 or 125.

Buy a factory service manual.

I like Mobil 1 Racing 2T 2 stroke pre-mix. Others use other stuff.

I change the tranny oil every 3-6 rides depending on conditions and how hard I was riding. Some do more, some do less.

It's probably a good idea to clean the air filter after every ride, but I usually do it when I get around to it - usually whenever I change the tranny oil. However, if it's been really dusty where I've been riding, I'll clean it immediately after that ride.

I clean it with soap, water and gas, and I use the PJ1 filter oil because I can get it easily. I'm sure there are better ways to clean and oil it, but it works for me so far.

As to top end changes, it all depends on how hard and how much he's riding it. I went from May 2005 to winter 2005 and only did one ring change - had no issues. Did piston over the winter. I was racing 2-3 times a month and riding 1 or 2 times a week for 2-3 hours (probably 1-1.5 hours actual seat time per ride.).

I've been riding since late March and am planning to ring my RM in the next couple weeks.

Sooner is better on top ends, but there's no sense wasting money, either. Once you get a factory manual, you can always pull the cylinder and measure to see if the piston/ring are still in spec. It will take a bit of time and $15-20 in gaskets, but you'll learn and get a better idea about what's going on.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I prefer 40:1 with my oil (bike size doesn't matter to me), but it depends on the oil. If you don't use the same mix as the previous owner, you will likely have to rejet the carb.
type of pre-mix to use?
Something that is readily available in your area. I like Motul 800, other people like other oil.
Another case of whatever is readily available (I use Bel-ray 75W), change it more often than you do your car, but it does depend on how hard the bike is ridden. If your bike has a sight window, you can look through it and see just how black the oil has gotten.
If you clean it often enough, you won't have to change it for a long time. If it is ridden in dusty conditions, it gets real dirty real fast. Pull the seat after the ride and take a look at it, you'll know if it needs cleaning. Also, I have purcahsed spare filters for my son's bikes, that I keep oiled and in Ziploc bags. I can change them out and clean the dirty one later. Oh yes, keep a box of latex gloves handy, even installing the filter will get your hands real sticky. The air filter is among my least favorite maintenance practices, and the one that has to be done the most.
Some use kerosene, some use specialized cleaners, I use a PJ1 aerosol cleaner that my local parts guy recommended. It is also good for cleaning the chain and motor. I uses the Kawachem oil (also aerosol)on my filters, but there are several other good ones. If you don't use the aerosol oil, you can pour the oil into a tupperware container that is larger than the filter. When it come time for oiling, you just dunk the filter is the tub, and squeeze it out. This will save you a lot of money by preventing waste. Either that or put it in a spray bottle and squirt it on.
I know that I have not given you any definite answers, but the reality is, no matter how many opinions you get, the lubricants, fluids, and cleaners that you use are your choice to make, and you have to be able to get them when you need them. There are many good products out there, and everybody feels that they use the best, if they didn't, they would probably switch. Also, there are several threads on these boards where people have debated the superiority of products that you can search for and read to gain a little more insight on what works for others.

Top Bottom