new to 2 strokes needs help again (few questions)

kx_250

May 9, 2006
Well i just bought a kx250. I had an old 4 stroke and wow are these different. anyways, here is my problem:

1. I believe i have weak compression because i can push the kick starter down with hand pretty easy, but it does start easy when i do kick start it.

2. It runs good but will sometimes bod down a little in the mid-high rpms which i believe this is the carb as it would be on a 4 stroke.

3. If i let off the throttle and pull in the clutch it wil stall easy (just let clutch back out to turn engine over and it will fire right up). maybe also carb or is it normal for 2 strokes?

4. The engine sounds ok (no rattling or any odd noises) so what are the chances of just putting in a new piston/rings etc...?

sorry for the long post i just want to ride, thanks

Last edited:

SR71

Dec 24, 2005
Sounds more like a jetting issue. Low compression usually causes a loss of power not stalling or bogging. What does your plug look like?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
If you can push the kickstarter down pretty easy you probably do need a new top end. I would do a compression test and try to find out from the previous owner when and if a top end was done. I would not mess with jetting until you know the top end is in good shape. Check the reed valves too.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I would replace the top end anyway, a top end kit will cost you around a $100, do that then work on jetting from there. You should not be able to push down the kick starter with your hand with ease, doesnt matter if jetting is off or not. Good luck

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I also have a KX250, and there is no way I could push the kick through the stroke with only my arm. It's tough enough with my leg at times. I'm not even sure I could do it on my boy's 65's. +1 on compression being the problem.

kx_250

May 9, 2006
what are the odds of needing it to be replated/sleeved? Can i just order the top end kit now with the stock piston size and be ok?

Mar 1, 2005
kx_250 said:
what are the odds of needing it to be replated/sleeved? Can i just order the top end kit now with the stock piston size and be ok?

you need to first pull the cylinder and have your piston to cylinder clearance measured to see where you are at as far as wear goes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom