Jonny-K5

Feb 28, 2006
ive got three cr250's for my family. a 98 i ride, a 90 for my dad, and an 88 for my brother. we are new to 2strokes. not sure what type of fuel or what mix ratio to use.

the older bikes get pretty messy on honda's 32 to 1 stuff,leaking oil out of the pipe joints and out the tailpipe. the 98 isnt nearly as bad. my last trip out ,just me and the 98, i ran out of the honda stuff and got some Amsoil racing 2stroke mix from napa. ran it at the reccomended 50to1 with race gas (112-114octane)

ran good and seemed cleaner. is this stuff ok for these bikes? what octane should i be using? the local honda parts guy said fresh pump gas(91octane) should be fine.the book says 93-100.
i can get 100octane pump gas from one station here, or 110 from a bike shop, or the 5gallon drums or 112-114 from the dealer.

i ride in the high desert, maybe 3000ft elevation. not sure what any of there bikes are jetted for. im guessing they are set for sea level. should i mess with them or would i be on the safe side having them a little rich?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
If they're stock, 93 octane pump should be fine.

You can get an endless debate going on oil ratios, but the consensus of most tends to be that 32:1-40:1 is to be preferred over ratios with less oil, as it provides more lube and protection to the engine.

To stop the drooling of oil everywhere, you need to rejet those bikes for how and where you are riding them. Running them rich won't hurt anything other than reducing the power output slightly, fouling spark plugs, and spooging oil everywhere. I would suggest leaning them out a bit, not necessarily to the ragged edge of being too lean, but it sounds like they could drop a jet size or 3 and still be safe.

Look at the top of this category for links to a couple of jetting guides to help you rejet the bikes.

Top Bottom