Nov 11, 2007
Well, i wanna start off first by saying that im completely new to dirt bikes. ive ridden my friends a couple times and that about it.

Now that duning season is here, and my truck down for repair, i need something to ride. A friend of mine gave me one of his old dirt bikes and i wanna rebuild it, but dont know where to start.

Its a 1998 honda cr80rb. its old and crappy, but i gotta start somewhere, i guess.

What are my options? Where do i start? Is this a project worth taking on?

Any help would definitely be appreciated

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I'm not sure what your options are, or where you should start, beacuse you haven't provided enough info. First of all though, any bike that is given to you, or any bike that you have at all is a good one. '98 isn't THAT old, and I can't imagine it being too crappy. You say you need to rebuild it? My advice would be to purchase a manual for the bike and start the teardown to see what condition the motor is in. Get the head and cylinder off, and check the condition of these parts, replace the piston, rings, etc, and get a rebore if nessecary. Check out the bottom end as well. More information would definitly help everyone help you get it up and running! Let us know!

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
you need to check the engine, top and bottom ends, check the frame, replace spark plug, really check the carbeurator; rejet if needed, get a manual, this might seem like a big list, but this is very little compared to what you are going to have to do to get it going. :cool:

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Take your time I've found some sweet used rides and it's the time of the year when everyone is selling to buy the new model years bikes.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
98 is not at all old.my first bike was a 1979 honda 250 xl-that is old.and my second bike was a 1985 Suzuki dr 100.and my third a 2003 cr85r expert(my fav)but yeah point being that isn't old and my old honda ran great.i didn't have 1 issue with it ever.

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
If you're getting a bike for nothing, that’s a great place to start, however most people don't give away stuff that's in great condition, so you probably have a lot of work ahead of you. When getting free stuff its good to bear the following in mind "if a buddy offers you a beer, complaining about the brand, temperature or taste is not allowed"

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
You mentioned "duning season". If that means it has cooled off enough to ride the sand dunes then it would indicate the type of riding. Not sure what your truck being down has to do with anything, unless you plan on riding the dirt bike to work, whcih I don't recommend.

That established, I would say that an 80 cc bike for a full size person is going to suck in the dunes. If you just want something to mess around with in fields or trails it could be okay but it is still small.

Can you tell us what the general condition of the bike is? Does it run? Is it at least all together?

If the bike doesn't run and is missing significant parts then it can quickly become a money pit. If it doesn't run but at least is all there then it can usually be rebuilt. But without knowing its condition we can only guess.

Rod

Nov 11, 2007
The bike somewhat runs. its been sitting around for awhile so the gas and oil are pretty old. it will run after about 5 minutes of kick starting. sometimes it bogs out, but im guessing thats do to the old oil and gas.

nothing is missing. everything works i.e. the brakes, clutch, etc.

is there any place i can send the motor to get it rebuilt?? can i switch the motor out for a stronger one??

Top Bottom