barncat

Aug 15, 2010
Should be getting a 1991 KDX 200, Saturday.
I haven't seen it in person, but I Plan on Giving $800 for it.

Other than the obvious, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?(damage wise)
Mechanically, what is the Achilles Heel, on these bikes?
Only thing "wrong" with the bike, is the back fender is discolored, some gawd awful green. Looks to be a bit darker.

I believe this bike has no lighting what-so-ever, I have seen a few others like this. What is the model designation for these bikes?

Hopefully this proves to be a better kick-starter than my XL600R was

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I beleive the model designation is the 'E3'

Weak points are the front forks (too soft a spring and too much high speed compression damping for most riders).

Also, the stock jetting is too rich. Over time, it COULD contribute to some of the parts in the KIPS valve assembly seizing up and stripping.

It would have had a headlight and tailight stock.

barncat

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for the heads up. Guy says it runs like a top(right, don't they all).
Says it's a one-kick bike, unless sitting for a month or two. He claims to keep it started, even though he doesn't ride it.

I figure for the money I'm out, it can't be to bad. I hate not knowing mileage or hours, but those are the breaks.

My XL600R was nice for the first month, but slowly started to fall apart. Previous owner hid quite a bit, and Ii didn't do my homework. Trying not to make that mistake again

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The biggest weak spot on the e series is the power valve design. They like to eat the valves on a regular basis. I have been working on a few things to help prevent this, and so far my last set have lasted for about 20 hours now, which is more than any of previous sets made it. If it feels flat on top, you'll want to pull the pipe and look at the valves. They are expensive and getting hard to find. If mine break again, I will be looking for a way to fix the LH subvalve in place.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom