1Steve

Aug 13, 2002
Hi All,

I just picked up a 1999 kdx 200. This bike has just about every aftermarket item that it can have. It runs great but it sounds like a sewing machine. I also have have a 1998 kdx 220 and this bike does not make that noise. It does not seem to be load dependent. In fact it goes away at higher rpm's. I did a search on ticking noise and came up with bacically nothing. The previous owner said that the ticking noise was there when he bought it and didn't seem to effect how it ran. I do not think it has the low end that my stock 220 has. This leads me to think that it has a problem with the kips valve. Any suggestions?

Also, I was playing with the idea of swapping all of the goodies from the 200 and putting them on the 220. Any comment on that?

Thanks all. Steve

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I think that would be the mod or removal of the air box lid. Does that bike have something done to the air box? The 200 wont have the low end of the 220 b/c that is not what its made for. The 220 has more low end for several reasons but doesnt rev out as nicely as the 200.

1Steve

Aug 13, 2002
The air box lid is removed but so is the one on my 220. The noise is coming from the top end area. Does not sound like piston slap. Does a faulty keps valve have a ticking sound?

Thanks

1Steve

Aug 13, 2002
I did a search on Kips noise and got quite a few hits. Lots of info. One question that was not cleared up was is the 200 noisier then the 220 or should they sound the same. My 220 is much quieter then the 200.

Thanks,
Steve

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Drain the crankcase, and put a whole quart of oil in the case... instead of the 3/4 quart
A lot of times the noise the the ball and ramp acivation system for the kips...

cdnuser

May 16, 2004
Got the same noise

I have an 89KDX 200 and hear the same noise. I changed the trans fluid. Bike seems to run fine and it has done it since I bought it. The engine was also just rebuilt last season. Humm.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Clean your KIPS. This should be done at least every top-end. They get noisy when dirty--Usually stems from using crappy oil and poor jetting.

1Steve

Aug 13, 2002
Thanks for the info. Just got back from a 100 mile ride today. I went with my 2 brothers. One has a 87 Husky 510 and the other has a 03 KDX 220 with a rev pipe. We compared KDX's and his has lots more power. Also, the power delivery is much stronger at lower rpm's. I'm not sure just what my new 200 has for performance stuff other then new reeds, fmf gold series pipe, and turbine core II muffler. With these mods I thought it should be up to par with a 220 with only a fmf pipe. One great thing about my new bike is the suspension. I can not get over the handling with the suspension work that was done on this bike. I could out maneuver and out ride my brothers even though they had the more powerful bikes. I would recommend to anyone with stock suspension to put in stiffer front springs and revalve and have the rear shock redone as well before any engine mods. My brother's say the same thing after riding my bike. After today, I am seriously considering just swapping all of the mods from my 99 200 and putting them on my 98 220 unless one of you folks can convince me otherwise.

Thanks all for your input.

Steve

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Before you go and switch everything you might want to check some things.
1. How fresh is the top end?
2. Whats the compression?
3. Has it been rejetted for the mods?
4. Is the KIPS system working?
5. Are the reeds cracked or worn out?
If the noise is coming from the KIPS system then maybe a good cleaning is in need. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom