Do you put a new tube in with each new tire?

• Yes

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 74 67.9%

• Total voters

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I voted NO but I buy one if I don't already have one. Never know when you'll pinch the tube.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Are you crazy! It's bad enough I have to buy and change tires constantly riding my 500, let alone more green for a new tube each time. Unfortunately I have become an expert at changing tires and rarely pinch a tube in the process. Ahh, the price one has to pay for arm-ripping torque!

durrtygurl

Oct 13, 2006
in refrence to tubes

i dont change mine every tire.. i do however check my bead lock... it takes more of a beating than the tube.. i use just a regular kings tire tube and it lasts longer than the heavy duty ones. i dont know why.. maybe because i rider harder. i ride alot in the sand, and i have only had one tube go flat.
but whatever you do.. repalce it yourself... tire companies dont care about pinching the tube in the rim.... good luck

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
The only tubes I've ever replaced were one for running over a nail and another for me punching a hole in it as I rushed to get a tire on. Turns out rushing made the tire change take way longer by the time I took the tire back off, went to a dealer, got a new tube, and put the tire on again. :bang:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I change tires about every 2-3 weeks depending on where I am riding (paddle, hardpack, dualsport). I've had the same tubes for at least a year and a half now.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you have to take into account the surface area of the original tube and weigh it against the surface area of the patches used on it to that point. If you have more patch surface than original tube surface, then you can only use the tube eleven more times. And you cannot count the overlap of patches against your equation.

I hope this helps

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
XRpredator said:
you have to take into account the surface area of the original tube and weigh it against the surface area of the patches used on it to that point. If you have more patch surface than original tube surface, then you can only use the tube eleven more times. And you cannot count the overlap of patches against your equation.

I hope this helps

I hear that if you throw a bunch of patches onto a tube that has no punctures in it, you end up using all the space in the tire for patches, hence no need to worry about ever changing it

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I keep spare tubes on hand, change it when necessary. Then if the old tube just had a small puncture I will patch it and use it again.

Rod

I use old tubes from my KDX (18" rim) to make new rim bands for my YZ (19" rim) :cool:

areaman

Apr 5, 2006
mandark1967 said:
I use old tubes from my KDX (18" rim) to make new rim bands for my YZ (19" rim) :cool:
if ihad a yz250 and a kdx 200 id make tries fro my kdx out of teh old tires from my yz t50 becuz it wuld save me monye

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I keep a spare tube on hand, but usually don't buy a new one unless I have to air up everytime I ride. I use sealent. Its a must in west texas unless you just like changing tubes.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Man I can't remember the last time I changed my tubes, or had a flat... guess I just jinxed myself.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I usually change the skimpy stock tube out when the original tire wears out, but never change the tube thereafter.

But I forgot to do this a couple of times, and it bit me once. :|

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I use the Moose Racing Heavy Duty tubes and I have not had a flat since. When I'm changing out the tire I always rub my tube down with talcum powder and lightly coat the inside of the tire with talcum powder as well (just regular old baby powder) and I haven't had a pinch flat since. The other added benefit is that sliding those thick walled, heavy duty tubes between the bead and the rim while you're installing them is much easier with some talcum powder on them. Slides through much easier.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I usually do, but it is mainly because I don't ride enough to wear out tires quickly. I usually get 1-2 years out of a tire and just go ahead and replace the tube also. But I have ruined more tubes on smaller bikes (14-16" wheels) than I ever have on full-sized bikes because I destroy valvestems on wheels without rimlocks for some reason.

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
Before I learned how to change a tire I bought 2 tubes every time I changed my tire. Now I just buy one and usually change it with my tire.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I usually buy hd tubes and have learned that installing a 19 inch tube on an 18 inch rim makes mounting the tire much easier. I havent had to change a tube in some time.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I went with the foam inserts. Front loaded all the cost and effort, will find out how long they last for an old slow guy.

Before that, I was a 'use whatever was on hand' type person. Actually stuffed a front tire full of old tennis balls once, just to see how it would work. (Pretty well. Well enough for me to pull the trigger on the foam inserts.)

Oh yeah, when I originally mounted the inserts, it was the wife and me. Being a little short on testosterone, I decided to forego the rim locks. No problem with the front, but the back was spinning. Tried zip ties, first 100 #ers, then 250 #ers, but they would eventually break. (Got a pic of the set-up, was good for some laughs and head shaking!) When I decided the zip ties weren't good enough, recruited Greg and Jason to tag-team the process and got a rim lock installed. Hope to make the whole season without any tire/tube issues.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom