flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a new(to me) bike in the next 2-3 months and wanted to get everyone's opinions on the right two-stroke bike for me. I'm not partial to any brand, but am really more than anything looking for info on common problems/issues.

Most of the bikes I'm looking at are late 90's or very early 00's. I'm not opposed to a 125 or a 250. Just wanna ride 2-wheels again. The most common bikes around here seem to be 96-02 Kx250's & 125's as well as 96-02 Rm250's & 125's.

Heres the info:

1) your physical size: 165lbs 5'10"
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Pretty aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- Woods(very little track)
4) Do you have any riding experience? Been riding 15yrs
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Just a two-stroke. 125-250
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I've got all the major brands close.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $1000-$1700
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 27
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion? Just common issues with bikes of this time frame.

Help a brother get back in the "know". :think:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I'm about your size, and also a trail/woods rider. Back when I was racing, I really liked 125's the best....... but that's kind of odd, I was in the minority. 125's are light, easily flickable, and really nice when braking or on the downhills, but require aggresive, think-ahead planning on the uphills. 250's.........longer top-end life, enough "lugability" you can be more lazy on the uphills, and the effect of more spinning-engine mass makes them a little less flickable, and you can feel the weight when braking, and in the corners. For me, when racing, the 125's were my weapon of choice. Now I like my 250......cuz I'm old and lazy.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I actually used to race 125's in Hare Scrambles too. I'll be fine with either one.

Anyone know any problems inherient with those model year of Kx's and Rm's?

colt45

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2007
Not trying to be smart a$$ but you should check out the for sale section there is at least 1 125 in there in you price range and in the same state. Just trying to help.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
flynbryan said:
I actually used to race 125's in Hare Scrambles too. I'll be fine with either one.

Anyone know any problems inherient with those model year of Kx's and Rm's?
Raced an early 90's KX125....... stable bike at speed, not big on power, and a narrow powerband thru most of the 90's if I remember right. Our 98 RM125 is probably the most fun bike I've ever had, it's now my younger son's but he doesn't ride much. Handles real well, kind of a top-end motor, but more torque can be squeezed out without too much $.........jet em right, mill a little off the base of the cyl, low-end reeds, fun fun.

Jan 3, 2007
My friend has a 99 RM125 and its a blast. Out of all the current 125s that thing has a ton of usable power everywhere. I am 240lbs and i raced it in a Hare scramble and loved it. I am far to fat for it but its great and he has no problems with it ever. I suggest one to anyone looking at a late model 125. Those KXs are also rank. Very powerful top end.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Well....... Just bought a 00' Kx125 today. I'm back in the saddle again. :ride:

Been on quads since 03'. Still have my atv, but got the urge to ride 2 wheels again. Can't wait to take her out for a ride. I'm so pumped. :)

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
truespode said:
I'm planning on hitting TNT or Brushy Mountain next weekend (I'm on call this weekend).

Hit me up at ts @ truespode dot net if you think you are up for it.

Ivan

I'll see if I can pull it off Ivan. I gotta have the fork seals done on the bike before I can ride her. They're leaking good. We are definately heading out to CAW the weekend of the 12/13th though. Would love to see ya out there if you can make it. ;)

rm85l

Dec 26, 2007
all of your info sets you on a 4t, but if you have to have a 2t, id go with ktm's 144, otherwise, if you decide to get a 4t, get a crf250f

Top Bottom