JaredMackall

May 15, 2004
I'm thinking of getting a KDX 220 or 200 soon, and I was wondering what your opinions are about buying new vs. used. I know buying new is more expensive, but I get the peace of mind knowing the bike is in good working order. Buying used is much cheaper, but I don't know how bad the bike has been beat on. I'd be considering buying a year 2000 and up. Did you buy your bike new or used? What were your reasons for doing so? Are you happy with your choice or do you wish you'd done something else? Thanks.

ScottZJ

Aug 17, 2004
Well I cant give you knowledge from experience since I just got my KDX, but from what I have seen with friends. You should be able to find you an extremely nice if not mint for half the price you will buy a new one for. You will also loose right as you walk out the door on a new one. You will be able to tell a bike that has been ridden hard and worn out and a nice bike. I shopped around and found a 2002 KDX200 for around the same price as I got this 2000 model(1700$) but it was so worn out it isnt funny. This 2000 was just about mint. Shop around and take someone that knows bikes(if you dont) to assist. Remember buying from a person verse a dealer, could save you even more..................peace

My BIke
picture.JPG

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
a new bike comes with a new title...... meanign your bike would be a '05 model. I've seen some '95 and '96's as cheap as $1000, and you could probably rebuild the whole bike, and have everything new with all the hop-up parts for less than a new bike so long as you are able to do most of the work youself.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
I would be patient and find the right used bike. Not only does the other person take the depreciation hit on the value of the bike rolling out of the dealer, but if you look and know what to look for, often they may also have invested a lot of money in sweet aftermarket upgrades...which again you never get the money back on when you re-sell.

kwb377

Dec 30, 2004
Zerotact said:
a new bike comes with a new title...... meanign your bike would be a '05 model.

Date of manufacture determines year model. A left over '03 model bought new in '05 is still an '03 model.

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
Have to agree with the above. There are very lightly used bikes out there very reasonably priced. KDXs are well known for durability, so even not so lightly used, newer models can be good buys. I found my '04 when it was 8 mos. old, ridden 4 times and $1.6K less than brand new. Another major factor with KDXs is that they really have not been upgraded by Kawi in about 10 years, so there is no technology advantage in buying a brand new bike. Save some cash on a used model and do the up-grades yourself. Good Hunting, JimG

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I bought used because I wanted to keep the purchase at $2000 or less and maybe get a bike that already had some of the modifications I would be spending money on anyway. To make a long story short that's exactly what ended up happening.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
IMO buying a bike older than the current year, means the bike isn't new

kwb377 said:
Date of manufacture determines year model. A left over '03 model bought new in '05 is still an '03 model.

Powerlock25

Jan 21, 2005
old

buy a used bike, you will learn much about the workings of a machine and have fun doing it. you will have fun upgrading it too. It will become your creation and you will see yourself in it and have more appreciation for it. dont buy new!! your bike will just get trashed, stolen, wrecked or all the above. :blah:

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I like powerlock's take on it. All of my dirt bikes have always been used. Just remember ,dirtbike miles are like dog years.Got my '92 KDX 200 two years ago ... what a steal ... for a thousand bucks it already had renthal,fmf ,answer,fredette guide,barkbusters,top end! Started riding it and found out what I really had.... then came the fork seals,swingarm bearings,wheel bearings,chain,sprockets,grips,pivot arm,seat cover,tires...and a lot of hours in the garage...wouldn't trade it for anything! I'm in it another grand now, but some things are worth more than money. Now when I ride, I know exactly whats under me. Dave

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
I got my '99 for a 1000$ dollars. It was in mint condition and wasnt even due for its first top end yet!!

Top Bottom