newb needs help!!

beauz12345

Jul 21, 2004
I have a drz125-l(suzuki)year 2003.i cant figure out why it is not running right.i sat in my garage for several months so when i recently wanted to ride it i realized that it would not start.i had the carb and jets cleaned,and replaced the gas.it starts up fine now,but it only morks in first gear,when i shft into second it starts to put and jerk a little bit ,but if upen the throttle all the way and hold it it slowly goes faster until i have to shift to third gear where it starts all over again!PLEASE HELP! thanks-beau

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Make sure that your air filter is clean and that air flow is not being blocked. Also check to see that your floats are set correctly in the carb. Did you clean the carb and jets yourself? remove them and make sure that there is no "gunk" or sand in the jets. Also verify that you have steady gas flow through the fuel line going to the carb.

beauz12345

Jul 21, 2004
ok,yes i did clean them myself and i probably screwed something up.what is a float,is it that little plastic piece in the carb.ther is no sand in it,i will check the air filter....i cant see why the air filter would be clogged because i have only riden it about 5 times,but i will check it.thank you very much for helping me,please do not flame me,i am a newb. thanks-beau

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Even though the bike has been sitting, dirt and other debris can accumulate in your air filter. Remove it, clean it, oil it, and re-install it.
The float is the large bulky piece that "floats" in a pool of fuel in your carb bowl. Its job is to maintain a certain amount of fuel in the bowl. There is a needle valve attached to the float. It allows more gas into the carb from the gas tank until a certain level is reached, then it closes off. Make sure the float is not stuck.

beauz12345

Jul 21, 2004
thanks

i am sure it is the air filter or float.i will let you know if it works or not

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
showtime586 said:
The float is the large bulky piece that "floats"

:laugh:

beauz12345

Jul 21, 2004
well?

the air filter is perfect and their is plenty of gas going into the carb.do you think it is the float?how will i know if the float is stuck or positioned wrong? thanks-beau

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
beauz12345 said:
the air filter is perfect and their is plenty of gas going into the carb.do you think it is the float?how will i know if the float is stuck or positioned wrong? thanks-beau

You will know when soemone who knows what they are doing looks at it and says "the float is stuck, or positioned wrong".

In other words, find someone in your area to walk you through the carb, preferably someone who has some experience.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
showtime586 said:
That is the best that I could come up with.....:)

I read a book called "The Complete Idiots Guide to the Volkswagen Bug"(something like that). The author described everything like that. "It's the round whatchamahosit on the left side near the thingy". I wasn't bagging on you, I just thought it was funny. It reminded me of that book my dad made me read. :laugh:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…