JeffStallard

Jul 17, 2002
I'm thinking of buying a dirt bike, and would like to advice on what to buy. Here's my stuation:

Previous experience: ex-BMX racer (maybe the skills carry over..?), plus six years with a 3-wheeler. I also have a Jeep (that I take off-road), but I doubt that matters in this case.

Desried Riding: Very mild to moderate terrain. I just like crusing around the trails, not launching 30 ft. off of boulders or climbing sheer rock faces. I'm in it for the scenery more than the challenge.

Budget: Under a few grand.

Frequency of use: 1 to 2 times a month, including winter.

The Jeep is great fun off-road, but nothing matches the freedom of a bike. Help me out guys (and gals); which bikes would be best suited to me?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Wrong Forum dude......

JeffStallard

Jul 17, 2002
Sorry...where should it have gone? I'm new to this forum. When I signed up, it said double-posts in multiple forums was a no-no, so what do you want me to do?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Welcome to the forums.

From your info, i would point you towards one of the Honda XR's, size depending on your body weight. They are perfect for cruising trails.

Your post will probably be moved to the "What bike...." forum. There's pretty much a forum for every type of topic. check 'em all out and good luck on finding the right bike for your riding. :)

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
There is a forum that is made for this type of question. It is called the "what bike do I get" forum.

Dont worry about it. A friendly moderator :p will be along in a minute or two and will move your post to the right forum.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Oh, and I second what rooster said. The honda xr's are tough as nails(and a piece of cake to ride). I would recommend a 250 or a 400 depending on your size.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I too will have to say the Honda 250 or 400.

Have fun :)

JeffStallard

Jul 17, 2002
One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not a fan of ear-splitting bikes. I'll give the industry the beneift of the doubt and assume that the cost of a quiet bike is power (rather than assume they're loud just to be cool like Harleys). Is there a good way around a loud bike? Dual-sports are quiet, aren't they? Can I just slap a different muffler on a trail bike and make it quiet? I am *COMPLETELY* new to motorcycles, so I'll be asking some pretty basic questions as I go.

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
I'd also suggest an XR 250 or 400. Extremely reliable, low maintenance and ideal for the type of riding you describe. With either stock or un-plugged exhaust, they are relatively quiet too. And finally, you should be able to find plenty of used bikes for sale near your price range.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom