Newbie here, what with all the oil coming out of my KDX

chrisp80

Jun 5, 2008
I'm new to owning my own dirt bike but have been riding them since i was little. (never had money for my own. Waaa!) Anyway, I have an 89 KDX 200 that I have fallen in love with. It loves jumps, cornewrs and overall hauling *** .(fast)

I'm learning how to maintain the bike myself and was wondering. It seems a lot of oil is on the spark plug and dripping out of my exhaust. (enough to notice)

Is this normal because of the 32:1 gas oil mixture? Is this a symptom of a gasket or something?

Thanks for everyones help. I'm hoping to get the whole bike rebuilt in a year. (But i just cant stop riding it long enough)

:ride:

Last edited:

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
...assuming that the bike has at LEAST enough compression to blow air past your finger whenever you remove the plug, place your finger firmly over the hole to seal it off, and kick the engine over, THEN most likely your problem is jetting: KDX are famous for it from the factory. Do a search on jetting spec's for your locale on the KDX subforum on this site that Canadian Dave has...

KDX's are excellent all-around little bikes; I have owned several and have one on hand even now!

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
with running your bike with that much oil in the fuel your going to get alot of oil in the pipe. that would be my guess if its not the jetting

chrisp80

Jun 5, 2008
found something

One thing I realized is that the rubber collar holding the silencer to the pipe was a little loose and warn. i bought a new one and the silencer is a bit rusted so I can only assume that the previous owner never repacked the silencer. I tried to get it apart with no luck.

I am buying a new silencer just so i know the service history and the new rubber piece. I'll check the compression.

I know my jetting is probably not perfect but I have NO IDEA how to do it. I'll check dave's subforum on jetting.

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it a lot! :worship:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…