BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this sorry i jumped to the questions about bikes and didn't take the time to say Hi to you all, i'm 43 male from Montreal, for now i'm riding a 2002 Harley, during my vacation this year one of my buddies invited me to go dirt riding with him and a few others in a sand pit an hour from here, and i had the time of my life, last time i'd been on a dirt bike was in my teens. back then my parents wouldn't allow me to get a bike of any kind, we took turns riding one of our friends old Suzuki 90 i can't remember the year but it was a big bike for a 90cc.
and riding one this year woke up that wanting to ride in the dirt.
So now i find myself searching the local internet sites classified ads for a Honda CR 250 any year as cheap as possible, don't forget i own a harley $$$'s i don't have anymore lol and selling it is out of the question,(my dirtriding buddies all say sell the HD and buy us all each a new bike) lol
so i'll find a reasonably good bike for 2000$ and finish the season in the dirt with my buddies having as you all know a blast.
During the rides i've had a chance to ride a few bikes 98RM250, 86XR250, and a TTR250, and sit on a few others to have a feel for them and the one i feel comfortable on is the CR250... love that 250 two stroke power of the RM but i like the feel of the Honda.
Well this is long enuff so Hi everyone and Ride safe!!
Tom.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Hi, Tom,

Nice to see a local rider. There are lots of off-road enthusiasts around our parts, in particular www.endurozone.com , which provides a database of riders and their riding level/type of bike to hook up with and go riding. If you want to want to try well-organized off road racing (from newbie to expert riders), check out www.fmsq.net to get dates for the next EnduroCross or group trail ride.

My unsolicited advice: hold off on the Honda until you figure out what kind of riding you want to do. A KDX 200 is a more complete off-road package right out of the box, and costs less than modifying a motocrosser for trail duty. At the $2000 price point, you're going to need an experienced friend to find a bike that is mechanically and well-suited to the type of riding you wish to do. If you want some general help, shoot me an email.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Its great to hear stories like yours, because people forget what truly having simple fun is like when they "grow up" :yeehaw: I'd agree that you should decide if you want to trail ride or race MX as the bike available to do both and they can be modified to do either with more cash. KTM makes an MXC that is as close as your going to get to a do all right from the factory, if you can't decide ;) . It’s a 2 stroke and it has been around long enough to be available for the cash you talking about. As for a nice trail bike that is inexpensive try the KDX line, 2 grand will get you a pretty nice one and mods are easy, cheap (free in some cases) and can turn it into a serious woods weapon.

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Thanks for the input,
is a kdx200 or 220 more powerful than a ttr250?
i've tried two different TTR's and just didn't feel like they had the power i liked in a bike on the other hand the RM was a wild bike (running C-12 racing fuel) that i think in time i could get used too and prolly mod to get more out of it, the kind of riding myself and my buddies have been doing is in a sand pit in a place called Yamichiche maybe Detonator has heard of this place
its near Three Rivers Quebec. its got fast trails a few vast sand pits with jumps and two race tracks one pro and one intermediate, i've tried all the above mentioned bikes on both tracks and well wherever i could go at this place, and theres just something about that 250 2 stroke that i love, even on the trails the RM250 seemed to be ok. But like i said these are fast trails not much in the way of technical riding just wide open in 2nd or 3rd. I'm suspecting that the CR250 is somewhat the same as the RM250, but more reliable.
For now i haven't bought anything yet. time will tell. a CRF450 looks nice too the YZF400 looks interesting too ...
We'll see in time and i'll let you all know
and show a picture if u want when i get whatever i get...
Thanks again Tom.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, a KDX is far more powerful than a TTR, and at least 25 lbs lighter. A KDX can be modified to go from a mellow beginner's ride to a competitive off-road race bike. The reason I'm big on KDX's is because they're reasonably priced, versatile, and modifiable. There's also an astounding amount of information about and loyalty toward these machines. I've never owned one, but I've ridden with dozens.

I don't know that the Honda 250 is inherently more reliable than the Suzuki; both are well-made and more than robust enough for sand pit riding. Reliability stories from riders usually circulate around rumours or the experience they had with their last bike of a given colour. I was a Honda guy my whole life, but my latest ride is a Yamaha, and it's every bit as reliable. Might have something to do with the fact that I look after my possessions, as I'm sure you will.

I've been to the Yamachiche pits, and the trails around Ste-Ursule/Louiseville area. Beaucoup de sable. Sand sucks up horsepower, so a 250 MX bike or CRF/YZF 450 is a good choice. However, with a budget of $2,000 you're looking at a mid-90's 250 MX bike or the KDX.

Best of luck to you, Tom.

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Sorry to all you Suzuki RM250 riders, when i said that Honda's are more reliable, i was going by someone else's word. I really don't know which of the two are more reliable
and at this point i'd take either ...I just want to RIDE! :bang:

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Detonator, what part of Quebec are you located in?
I'm in Longueuil, near St-Hubert
Just curious
We just got hit with a dose of reality, and looks like getting an MX this year is out of the question, money's too tight
I'm trying to make myself believe its the best thing to do seeing the season's coming to an end, and another good thing is i'll have a few more $'s to put on a newer bike next April.
But i'd sure like to be out riding with my buddies this weekend on my own bike!!!! oh! well
I'm still in love with the 250 2strokes instant power and think thats what i'll be getting.
Ride Safe
Tom

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Reality has a way of making money go away...we've all been there! Actually, bike prices are pretty darn good in January/February as people scramble to find cash to pay off Christmas credit purchases. You might get more bike for your money.

I'm on the North Shore of Montreal, lower Laurentian area (I don't get too specific over the internet...nothing to do with you). I know Longueuil quite well.

Can't go too wrong with a 250 2-stroke, as long as you're pretty disciplined about basic maintenance. There are a whole lot of guys with 8 year old bikes that have hardly slung a leg over them for the past five years, yet keep the bike for sentimental reasons. $3,000 to $3,500 will get you a fairly unabused 250. Budget at least $500 for safety gear, if you don't already own some. You can get used boots, chest protector, knee and elbow pads, but buy a new helmet...they're way cheaper than they used to be, and $175 picks up a safe, comfortable lid.

Anyway, you probably know all this stuff. If you ever want a hand, let me know. I'm going into my 26th year of off-road riding, so I've seen a bit.

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
ya my friends told me about the boots and helmet needed to mx. we were checking out a store called Reason near by here price's were pretty good.
i have to get a hitch and a trailer too. my friends all ready have 5 bikes to take each weekend. 3 in a trailer and 2 in the back of a van. i'm not sure 3 will fit in the back of the van
its a big 1 ton Ford Van
its too bad tho ..... i found a 98 CR250 for 2500$
maybe next spring it'll be a 2000 or a 2001
have a good one
Ride Safe
Tom

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
The best value in a simple trailer for bikes is...Wal-Mart!

They carry the Sno-Bear line (same as Cdn Tire, Home Depot). $578 gets you a 4'X8' flat trailer with 12" wheels (much better than 8" or 10") and serviceable bearings. Wiring's all done, hardware is quality, and the trailer is articulating for all your dumping needs. Another $120 for a bike rail and wheel chock kit (you can order directly from Sno-Bear, or over the counter at the Cdn Tire parts section), and you're good to go. The trailer fits 2 bikes comfortably, 3 if you're creative, but you'll need to buy one wheel chock kit for each bike.

I've put roughly 9,000km's on mine in the last year and a half, and I get all kinds of compliments from folks, especially when I tell them what I paid. You might save $200 getting a used one, but a lot of them are real Frankensteins (snowblower tires mated to a buick regal differential, lighting system from a 1984 moped, capped off with some nasty looking plywood), and they're often those "wobblers" you see buzzing back and forth behind cars on the highway. Mine is very balanced, and virtually imperceptible on the back of the minivan. Or you could spend $5000 on spiffy enclosed trailer. Then I'll be your friend!
A trailer hitch will run you about $250, including install. So, you're looking at another $1,000 on top of bike purchase and safety gear. However, the trailer will hardly depreciate in value, your used bike will barely drop in value over a few years time, and the safety gear is a consumable that you'll replace piece by piece. Once you take the $5,000 plunge, it's not that expensive. Compared to golf or downhill skiing, owning a bike for trail riding or sand pits is a bargain. Or so I told my wife!

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
You sound like me when i bought the Harley lol
trying to convince the wife that we needed a Harley "Yes dear they cost more but the resale value is better than a Honda Shadow" that i just lost 3000$ on :laugh:
One of the guys that comes to Yamachiche with us has one of those trailers from Wal-Mart he paid 400$ on sale, everyone comments on how nice it is, he rides a Yamaha YZF400 nice bike, i've yet to try that one, he never gets off it. :ride:
Turns out they didn't go today weather wasn't on they're side today and one of or friends had to work ... hopefully it'll be nice out next weekend and we can all go.
i've been riding with construction boots on they protect your feet from branches and other things that you could hit in a trail but don't let your foot touch the ground.... when you toe hits that steel cap ... OUCH!! ... they aren't the best for MX'n
Ride Safe
Tom.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

It looks like you have been in good hands while we were all at DirtWeek.

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Thanks Tony, Sure have been.
I'm learning a lot on this forum
Now if i could get someone to teach me how to make money grow on trees
i'd get me a motocross before winter comes :laugh:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
BBdotcom said:
Now if i could get someone to teach me how to make money grow on trees

If you find that person, send him my way after you are done learning or take dang good notes. :laugh:

Watch the Damn Yankee Dirt Riders and Michigan Trail Riders forums for opportunities to hook up with some fellow DRNers just south of the border.

The DYDR group always has a Rites of Spring ride at Paragon in Central PA and I am sure the MTR fellows schedule one as well.

Good luck on finding a bike. You might want to wait until first snow. That might make the prices drop a little. It is kind of like buying a convertable in the winter.

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
i have to wait until around April to have enough money to buy one, just ran into a little bad luck and drained our savings, :bang:
money i was hoping to use to buy a bike
next spring i'll get my CR250 :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Good luck with the bike purcahse and don't be bashfull about asking questions, answering them makes us feel like we know something :)

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
I've been asking questions in another forum mostly CR / KX / RM / YZ (2 Stroke) Discussion about different makes of bikes and getting very helpful answers
Thanks
I've got my mind made up on a CR250 i've tried a few bikes (2X 2000 TTR250,98 RM250,86 XR250) and seen a few others riding, The 98 RM250's crazy throttle response made my mind up on a 250 2 stroke, i sat on a CR250 and it just felt right and i love the look of it too and from what i hear the powerband is a little smoother than the RM, i've watched the owner's of both ride and go head to head, both are about even in speed...
There are 10 riders in the group i've been riding with, taking turns on each of the bikes as the owners would come in for a break. Some weekends i think i rode more than the guys that owned the bikes :laugh: there was always a bike there and a happy owner telling me to "take mine for a spin"
I should have my own ride in April it'll prolly be a used CR250
i can't wait!!!
Ride safe and have fun
Tom

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom