CBRob

Jun 25, 2006
Hello people,
I've been enjoying lots of the threads on here. lots of good info.
I Just traded my old toyota rockcrawler for my first modern dirtbike, a 2002 KX250. I Ride on mountain roads, and now even some cool single track. My riding is from 8000 to 10500 in elevation. I've been sledding for years, but am a total newbie at bikes. Some of the info I hope to get out of this site:
basic riding technique, like should I be standing most of the time? what is up with this preloading for jumps?

what is the basic gear/tool list for backcountry rides. I'm used to carrying lots of stuff during winter/sled trips.

Where can I find jetting specs for hi altitude? w/ a gnarly pipe?

How can I make this bike quieter?

Do they make a bigger gas tank for the kx250? so far I've been ok with the 2.2 gallon tank, but I ride like a newbie.

Can I adjust the pilot air screw "out" to help me stop fouling plugs on long downhills?

Is there anyone else from the Gunnison valley on the forums?

Do these forums have a search feature?

thanks for looking at my welcome to the list post
Rob

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Wow!.... :)

Yes there is a search function, it is on the top of the page, not sure if its available to everyone? Mr. Edds will let you know for sure!

The tools are in a but ag or fanny pack, search on those. But a master link a couple of plugs, a small bottle of 2-stoke oil, phillips and flat screw driver, 8,10, 12 mm wrench, a small crescent wrench if those didn't cover it, a wrench to remove both axles, a tire iron or two, a tire patch kit with an air source, small tube to siphon gas, small LED flash light,basic first aid lit ( mine has a needle and thread (floss) ...you never know) ibuprofin, a rag, some wire and duct tape. maybe more I am having brain fade right now.

Ok enough....

Put an after market silencer on it, FMF makes a nice one with a spark arrestor.

I think Clark MFG makes a bigger tank.

You should stand a lot of the time, depends what your doing, preloading for jumping is rapidly pressing down on the pegs and bars right at the apex of the jump to alow the springs to bounce you higher or further.

Oh I forgot, Welcome to DRN :nod:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site Rob :cool:

Be sure and go to your User CP and update information relating to your location, type of riding, etc. After that grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc.

Check out the Team DRN Mile High Chapter forum for opportunities to hook up with some fellow DRNers. Scattered from Southern New Mexico to Northern Colorado, these fellows cover the extremes of riding in the US, from desert to 12,000 foot mountain passes.

As Kevin said, search will help with your questions.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

Top Bottom