Newbie looking for a bike to cross-train with

lancerracer

Nov 24, 2007
I am a downhill mountain bike racer looking to get into bikes with motors for cross training and to improve my handling skills.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'1 180
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Athletic/Pretty aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mostly trails/woods/fields
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Limited
5) Do you think you will race ?
Not really, mountain bike racing is expensive enough
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I will be doing most of the mechanical work myself

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Not really...
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I have numerous dealers around
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
under $2500
10) Do you live in California?
Nope
11) Your age?

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Im gonna say a 250 2-stroke would suit you best, brand doesn't matter, whatever is a good deal. You should be able to find something year 2000 or newer in your price range and the 2-stroke is simple to work on.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
lancerracer said:
5) Do you think you will race ?
Not really, mountain bike racing is expensive enough
If you think MTB'ing is expensive then you may be in for quite an awakening, even recreational riding can give your wallet a beating. Take a look at a few recommended service intervals/procedures for a dirt bike. Now that you have been warned, start looking for a well maintained 250 2-stroke. Color doesn't matter, since it's only for training purposes.

I am the opposite of you, I took up XC to help train for MX. Both are a lot of fun, but I haven't pedaled much since the time change.

lancerracer

Nov 24, 2007
I have found a friend who is looking to sell his 2002 XR250. I know its a four stroke so it wont be as high strung, but is it still going to be a nice ride? He is asking 2500, but I could probably get it for 2000.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The XR250 might be suited for a nice cruise down an old fire road, but I don't think that you will be happy with it for more than a few rides. I also feel the 2g is too much for an '02. You should have little difficulty finding a much more aggressive machine for $2000, including any 2002 250 2-stroke.

Jan 3, 2007
In comparison to MTB i would say i find mountain bikes more expensive in ways. I seem to but the best parts i can for my mountian bike and i always break something when i go ridding. I second the 250 2 stroke.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom