easyvalk

Sep 11, 2005
Hello everyone!
I would appreciate some help with a couple of questions. I have just purchased a 1996 CR250R 2 wks ago. This is my first 2-stoke ever and my first dirt bike in 15 years. I believe I got a good deal on it. It has Talon wheels, Pro Circuit Pipe, Pro Circuit forks and rear shock. I bought the bike for $300.00 and a case of bear.
Over all it is in really good shape however the bad news is the previous owner cracked the cylinder on the outside water jacket and when he took it off to repair he lost interest in the bike. I own a machine shop here in TN T&E Precision Tooling so welding up the cylinder is no problem but I need to have the cylinder's bore replated and was wandering if the Bigbore kits are worth the time and money or do the Porting jobs make more difference. I am looking for plenty of low to mid power for trail riding and the steep hills here in Oliver Springs. I am going to send the entire engine to Eric Gorr for a complete check and rebuild.
I appreciate any help and say hi to everyone!
easyvalk

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
What kind of "bear" was it you gave? Polar, Grizzly, Black? :D Sounds like a good deal though, $300 heck the seat and fenders are probably worth that!

Don't know anything though about the cracked head. You might try posting in the Repair thread?

Good luck.

easyvalk

Sep 11, 2005
Just a cold case of Coor's bro! I think it was a great deal even if I have to put a few hundred dollars into the motor. I am finally getting back into trail riding so its worth everything to me. I have always had Honda XR's and one ATK w/ 4 stroke motors so I am looking forward to learning about 2 strokes for playing!
When I get the engine back from Eric Gorr and try it for a while I will either really dig it or I'll trade it for a 4 stroker.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
That's an awsome deal, the wheels are worth more than twice that. IMO if you not pushing the bike hard additional performance mods are unlikely to do you much good, if any. I've been riding 2-strokes for 11 years and have done many harescramble and MX races and still can't come close to using all the power a stock 250cc two stroke makes in the woods or on the track. Only place I've wanted more power was in sand dunes. I'd recomend just doing what you have to to get it running and then go ride. Most likely, you'll find that the motor is more than up to the task and you will get much more value from custom suspension valving, steering damper and other such woods goodies.

good luck:)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
easyvalk said:
Hello everyone!
I would appreciate some help with a couple of questions. I have just purchased a 1996 CR250R 2 wks ago. This is my first 2-stoke ever and my first dirt bike in 15 years. I believe I got a good deal on it. It has Talon wheels, Pro Circuit Pipe, Pro Circuit forks and rear shock. I bought the bike for $300.00 and a case of bear.
Over all it is in really good shape however the bad news is the previous owner cracked the cylinder on the outside water jacket and when he took it off to repair he lost interest in the bike. I own a machine shop here in TN T&E Precision Tooling so welding up the cylinder is no problem but I need to have the cylinder's bore replated and was wandering if the Bigbore kits are worth the time and money or do the Porting jobs make more difference. I am looking for plenty of low to mid power for trail riding and the steep hills here in Oliver Springs. I am going to send the entire engine to Eric Gorr for a complete check and rebuild.
I appreciate any help and say hi to everyone!
easyvalk

Personally, I would shoot some photos of the cylinder and get them to Eric and Rich before you weld the cylinder. I am not saying that you would have any problems, but if anyone would know, they would.

On another note, as the Master Greeter let me welcome you to the site :cool:

Be sure and go to your User CP and update information relating to your location, type of riding, etc. After that grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Merely welding the cylinder could cause some alignment (and hanging) problems with the powervalve andd linkage. It might be just as cheap to ask Eric if he has an already-ready cylinder ported for bottom-mid that he would sell you.

As far as the value of good porting...definitely worth it. It makes the bike so much easier to ride when you don't have to work to keep it in the power.

Top Bottom