Newbie,Need Bike, What suits me?

Ben29

Apr 14, 2006
The names ben, I currently have no Dirtbike but i am looking for one. I only like kawasaki, and ktm. I am 15 years old and i have only been on one of my m8s 49cc. Could people suggest a bike for me and where to get from? I live in Alfreton,Derbyshire,UK. so please could you sujest what bike i should start with? Thanks. I am roughly 5.6ft. Also i have to convince my parents into letting me have one. My dad says no but my mum says if i can find somewhere to ride it then Yes of course i can have one. Please could somebody help me. Many thanks
:ride:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

Ben29

Apr 14, 2006
I am 15 years old and want a dirtbike what do you think I should look for?

1) your physical size (i am 5.6ft and i weigh about 8.11stone)
2) Erm i will not be racing
3) i plan to ride in woods, fields with friends.
4) I have only ever rode my friends 49cc. And it was soooo boring <<<
5) I no for shore that i will not be doing proper racing
6) If my bike gets broke i will proably fix it myself
7) I like Kawasaki and KTM only
8) There are no deals in my village
9) This will be my starter bike so i have no idea what i will be paying

Ben29

Apr 14, 2006
any mroe help please?
please read what iput ^^^^^ what about a kx85? whats cheaper? KDX200 OR KTM200 or a Kx 85? Would i be able to ride a kx85 for my starter bike?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
At that height and weight I would AT LEAST look for a KX100 - but you'll probably outgrow that quickly. You're still growing, and you're already taller than me - and we are pretty close in weight.

I ride an RM 125 bored to 144. If I werer you I'd look for a 125 if you don't like the 200s.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You might not think a KTM200 is weird after it smokes you in the woods. You want to ride woods, buy a woods bike. Sure, they may not look quite as stylish (though I think the KTM offroad bikes look just as good as a motocrosser) as a motocross bike, but style really doesn't matter when you're stuck on a slimey hill in the middle of the woods because you're bike makes no low end and are getting passed by 'weird' bikes. That said, we can't force you to buy a bike you don't want, but I really think a KTM200 or KDX200 is a lot better suited to your needs than a motocross bike. Also, you may outgrow the KX100 fairly fast.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
How come you will only consider Kawasaki and KTM? You are severly limiting your options by only considering these two brands. You really are doing yourself a disservice by not considering all of the available options and models out there. Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki (just to name a few) all make great bikes that are just as competitive as Kawasaki and KTM.

Sure a KX 100 can be used in the woods, understand it is designed for Motocross and racing but it can be ridden on trails without a problem. However there are other bikes, namely trail bikes that are better suited for this type of riding. Since it seems that you will be doing mostly play riding you can save yourself some money by looking at some of the trail/playbike models. They may not be as "cool" looking, but as Okiewan said, they will be more suitable for the riding you plan on doing. Also since this is just a starter bike for you, you probably dont have to spend everything you've got on a bike that you dont plan on keeping forever. You can always upgrade after you get some more experience.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
In order of what I'd choose if I were you:
KTM 200XC (XC-w or exc)
KDX 220/200
KTM 125sx
KX 125
KX 100

I have a friend not much taller than you and he can ride a full size bike, no problem. The KTM 200 is a woods race bike, that is what it does best.

Ben29

Apr 14, 2006
i dont think i posted how tall i am right lol. m m8 sed i shud start on a used kx80 for a starter bike. and he does motorcross n lot n he knows how tall i am.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Ben29 said:
ok thanks for your help guys but can a kx100 be used in the woods?

Any bike can be used in the woods. You could ride a kx 500 in the woods although i wouldnt really recommend it. The 100 is a fun bike and for your size It'll be perfect (for a while). It's not really a woods bike but neither is my yz250 which I ride mostly woods as well and I've got a buddy who rides a kdx200 that will smoke me on trails but when it opens up into a field, "see ya" i'm gone!

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
Why don't you get a better bike than a kx80 or 100 because you will outgrow them pretty quickly, especially because you're only 15. Why does the brand matter there are other brands that make pretty damn good bikes like a wr250f or crf250x. Those are 2 pretty good dirt bikes, I rode my friends wr250f and I never wanted to get off.

Top Bottom