grez007

Jan 11, 2008
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'4" 230lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
not at first but i will once i learn
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
trails and local practice tracks-no intentions of racing
4) Do you have any riding experience?
plenty of street/touring/trackdays
5) Do you think you will race ?
nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
am mechanically inclined-servise is for dealers though
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
not yet
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
the big 4 are handy
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
7-8k all gear included
10) Do you live in California?
no-Ontario,Canada
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
no

Hello this is my first post and would like opinions on my first purchase of a off-road bike. I would like to learn to ride off-road and would primarily stick to trails with ocasional use of the local practice days at the tracks. I have lots of experience with high power sportbikes and a powerful bike doesn't intimidate me cause i will respect it until i learn how to use it. I think from what i've learned so far I would like a 400-450 4 stroke trail bike-not a full motocrosser(due to increased maint time) and prolly something a year or 2 old. what should i expect as far as maintenance goes for a 2 vs 4 stroke or should i just stay away from 2strokes for my purposes? I don't mind maintaning my bikes but oil changes after every ride and annual engine rebuilds really turn me off. I don't have a brand loyalty issue but if you could give 1 or 2 models from each that i could scour my local Autotrader for that would help............Thanks for any help anyone can offer,I'm in no rush I've got a couple of months before winter subsides

hip66

Dec 28, 2007
what to get

I cruised this site and several others for a few months getting feedback on what to get. You and I have very similar backgrounds in riding and we are around the same size. We also are looking for a similar purpose bike. At first, I was dead set on a 4 stroke 400 - 450 and tried them all on. Nice, but for trail riding and playing around (not racing of any kind, trail or track) they were a hell of a lot of cash and at this point, overkill. I found a brand new 2005 KDX 200 (2 stroke) for $2500 and it is perfect. Lots of folks rave about them, Kaw has them dialed in as they have been a staple trail bike forever. Feels nice, plenty of power for what I am doing and can be easily upgraded if I want. Gotta change the fork springs for my weight and the rear spring probably to dial it in for me, but for the cost and fit to my application works well. My 2 cents. Good luck!

Top Bottom