Mark W

May 12, 2004
After quite a bit of great advice on this site, I purchased a KLX110 for my 8 year old at the beginning of the season. Now that he has ridden the thing many many miles, I think that this bike will no longer be enough for him next season.

Here are some of the particulars.

Son is 8 years old and skinny. I'd say he is about average height, maybe a little taller. He can easily straddle the KLX110 with both feet on the ground. He can start the Kawi all on his own and has mastered the shifting just fine.

He seems to enjoy the motocross tracks much more than the trail riding to the disdain of me (I was hoping to get him hooked on trails but whatever) He loves the jumps and the Kawi suspension just doesn't cut it. I would like him to get a bike taht can work on the track and still work on the trails as well. He doesn't go all that fast and I don't think he has ever wound it out in 2nd let alone 3rd. He is quite accomplished on this bike and has become a good rider.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark W

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe a TTR125? It's about 4.5" taller but you could knock 1.5" out of that by cutting the seat foam. Not a full on MX racer but a lot closer than the KLX and still a good trail rider. If not then a KX65 but it's going to be a pretty big change and a lot more hyper for trail riding. I suspect a flywheel weight might make it a little less rev happy and make it a little more trail friendly but it IS a MX race bike first.

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
Well just remember it is easier to make a bike slower than it is to make the bike faster. I would say the kx 65 or rm 65 is a great choice. You can get it ported also to make the hit less noticable along woth the flywheel wieght it would tame it considerably.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
We tried a kx65 on the trails, the kid had a hard time, definately got too be hard on the gas IMO.. I thought the size of the tires made it hard on him.. Have you thought about a 85??
Rick

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
After a season on a XR70, I bought my (then 8 year old) son a KX65. It was the perfect bike for him. Physically, he still fit on the XR70, but the -70 just didn't have the suspension for the type of riding he was doing.

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
a CRF80F or even a CRF100R has better suspension then the KLX and a little quicker if you think the jump to a MX'er is too much for him

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
My dad's a trail guy too. I had a PW80. When I out grew the PW I wanted a TT-R125 or XR100 but we couldn't find a good used XR(the TT-R125's had just came out) and they both were plenty expensive(for our price range) new at the dealer. I got a used RM80 in good shape and was hooked on the 2 stroke. I like riding the track but just for fun but we mostly ride trails now. I think once you get a bike thats bigger than a 'pit bike' trails are a lot easier and fun. Now I have a KDX and the RM80(1997) is for sale. It is a racing bike but its pretty good in the woods too.

Life after 40

Sep 6, 2004
Mark, I purchased a 2000 Honda XR80 for my son. However, when I got it home is was too big for so I purchased a new CRF70. Like the KLX110, the CRF70's suspension is pretty weak yet it should be an excellent bike for him to learn.

Now I'm selling the XR80. The XR80 has a real suspesion and is in like new condition. Let me know if you're interested. I'm selling it for $1,150.

Paul

Top Bottom