reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Well, as expected, the rear shock appears to have absolutely no oil. The shaft has some discoloration at the top in back, but does not have a nick or anything you can feel with a fingernail.

The manual looks like a pretty easy rebuild, and I can scare up some nitrogen somewhere... I have oxygen and acetylene, but those probably wouldn't be good :)

So my next question... I can get the dust and oil seals from RM easy enough, and the price is good. Like under $20 for the whole deal. Or I can get a nice moose "seal assembly" from DK for under $40.

Any big difference between the two? Anyone have any experience with either? What are people using for oil?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
If the shaft is discolored where it passes through the seal head, it needs to be rechromed. You can get by cheaper to just buy a replacement and have it rebuilt.

If it has no oil, the bladder may be shot also. The piston band and o-ring are shot. If that shock shaft is not damaged, then it will need to be fully rebuilt.

A new seal head is the way to go on a KDX shock. It is a lot of trouble to rebuild the seal head compared to just replacing it. There is a bushing inside the seal head which will be shot since it was ran with no oil. Add $10 to your dust seal and oil seal price, plus Rocky Mountain may not carry those anyway.

Stock oil is great oil, Kayaba K2-C available at local dealer:

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew...atalogType=23&ProductTypeID=150&CategoryId=49

Several companies make great shock oil. Silkolene Pro RSF 2.5 wt has worked great for me in the past.

People seem to love to neglect the shock since the damage can't be seen until it is way too late (your case) or disassembled. It's not a Monroe Gas-o-matic!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Ugh. OK, definately worn through the chrome to the steel, though the shaft still appears intact. So who rechromes, and what is the cost?

I'll lurk on ebay for a while and see if I can score an intact shock for rebuilding... anyone have one laying around they want to get rid of? Any "popular" bikes have a shock that can be swapped over that I can look for and that are often pulled and pitched by racers doing upgrades? Like a CRF-450 shock or something?

Thanks for the help everyone. I have stopped adding up the math... it only depresses me.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
On a 1995 bike, the oil was put in the shock in the summer of 1994. Add 15 years to that date and what do you get? Today. Unless you know better, assume it is 15 years old. Well, the drops that are still trapped inside and haven't leaked out yet.

Please just buy a 1995+ KDX shock and pay someone to rebuild it. Trying to match up a shock from another bike is going to be a headache. It's valved wrong, sprung wrong, shaft length, it could be worn out too, wrong shock length, etc.

Rechroming is $125 - 200 including shipping both ways, besides all the other rebuild parts you would still need. Any suspension shop is almost always going to send the shaft out and not do it in house.

After buying a used shock and paying for shipping both ways, parts and labor, you are looking at, at least $200.

"People don't get rid of bikes because they are in perfect shape" - some smart guy once

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Got a fair deal on a used shock, it's on the way. If anyone needs something other then the main shaft, I will have good parts left over now, including the bladder, drop me a note.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom