No Compression - Advice/options

FLAWLESS

Jul 30, 2002
Hi guys.

dropped a ring today, motor still ran for a while but no power. Motor stalled and found had no compression, but no metallic noises, fheew.

After some options lads.

---Rebuild it, it already has wiseco piston, how big can I go.
---Stick a 250 motor in -- does the gear box adapt??
---Would the 250 motor / trans even fit in the frame??

Thanks heaps for all who answer.

Justin

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You know you 'dropped a ring' because?

And, if so, the pieces went someplace. Seeing as gravity sucks, that place is probably 'down'.

If you have actually 'no compression', then your piston isn't moving up and down anymore or has a hole in it.

You don't say what size you have. The 220 can go to 240 with a sleeve. The 200 to 225 with a wiseco piston.

'Does the gear box adapt?'

To......?? They kinda go together..the transmission. You're not meaning adapting the gearbox of one to the engine of another?

mulerider

Mar 21, 2003
First take off the head and look for damage and make your assessment. If the cylinder wall is scored/scratched it will need to be sleeved. You can't hone these because they are plated. If you have to sleeve it get the steel sleeve (unplated) and you can get aftermarket pistons stock size up to .040" over. Some pistons go to .060" for this bike but that makes the cylinder wall(sleeve) pretty thin.

You will need a machine shop in order to do the sleeving and boring of the cylinder to the newe piston size. I performed this transfusion 8 years ago and I just went to the next size piston on this sleeve (.020"). If I had the plated sleeve I wouldn't be a ble to do it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A plated cylinder can be REplated. It does not HAVE to be sleeved.

Places like langcourt will (with the piston you send) replate to a perfect fit.

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
And if it is already sleeved, langcourt can bore it and PLATE the sleeve. Probly the best option, plating that is, because it lasts multiple times longer than a standard cast sleeve.
But first you do have to pull the head and asess the damage! :O

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom