No Spark

jacksoj

Dec 11, 2001
I'm trying to help a neighbor with his '87 XL600. After I rebuilt his engine and he rode it a couple of times, the ignition has gone out. So far, we've replaced the coil and plug cap. The cap read open circuit when reading with an ohmmeter. Now it looks like the exciter coil on the stator has gone out. The resistance is about double what his manual says it should be. Is there a better way to check the exciter coil than with a meter? I tried to look at the exciter coil, but it's potted up in epoxy. Can the exciter coil be rewound, or does he have to buy a complete new stator assembly?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Where are you checking the circut? If you are testing at the plug and grounding at the exciter your extra resistance could be the CDI. If you are isolating the exciter is a good bet. A new stator is $ but nothing like the sound of mind from new componants.

Phillip

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
those things are hard to check out...most likely its the stator...
instead of buying coils or having it rewound,, i found it easier to buy the whole plate with coils already on it,, and has the wiring harness on it also,, i got my for 199 out of the back of one of the magazines from one of those places that specials in certain bikes. I suppose you checked the kill switch as well?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…