wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Lately my wife has been working alot of evening shifts and for the past couple months has been carpooling with a male co-worker. At first I didn't mind, I would rather have someone with her in case she has car trouble or something like that, but it seems that they have become a little bit more than friends. You know the scenario, the phone calls that hangup, she starts wearing nice clothes to work, talking about him all the time, etc. I don't know what to think. If I'm out in the garage when she gets home (usually after midnight) he just drops her off and leaves, but if the lights are off in the garage and I'm in the house (they think I'm sleeping) they sit out in the car for like twenty minutes. I asked her once what they were doing, she said "just talking"....whatever. So last night I decide that I'm going to see what really goes on out there. I leave the garage door open, but turn out all the lights. About the time she usually gets home, I go out and hide in the garage and wait. In a few minutes, his car pulls into my driveway, and I'm hiding behind my bike. When his headlights shine through the garage and onto my bike, I see something that I just can't believe. The rear sprocket is already worn and hooked but the chain looks OK. Do you think I should change just the sprocket or both the chain and sprocket?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Huh.. I recall seeing this exact joke posted on here a few months ago...

I thought it was bad enough that we recycle the same stupid questions over and over.. :whoa:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
IndyMX said:

I thought it was bad enough that we recycle the same stupid questions over and over.. :whoa:
still funny

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
IndyMX said:

ok good, i though i was going crazy for a minute there :bang:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Well I never saw that so ha! good one!

Oh, and I don't know enough about bike maintenance to answer your question ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Finish the dang story, what the heck was the tramp doing??

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
A Man's got to have his priorities straight,...... 'go 2 teeth down' on the rear, with new cs and o-ring chain.

SuMoNewby

Apr 20, 2008
oldguy said:
I would change both the chain and sprocket then keep the chain handy for his next visit :boss:

Good one :cool:

OK, while that was quite humorous, I have a true delimma for the experts:

While riding my new Yam TTR125LE today (less than 10 hours old), I noticed that when hitting the LH berms, I heard / felt a clunking sound in the rear. Sounded like when you bounce up and down with the kick stand down.. Nothing in right turns.

Anyway, I stopped to investigate and noticed that the chain was super tight (adjusted perfectly per the manual before ride) and that while the chain meshed perfectly along the bottom of the rear sprocket, it was running short of laying in the sprocket grooves as it rounded the top side. As if the chain had shrunk... I thought if anything, the chain would streatch with use and heat.

When I got back home, I looked again and the chain is now meshing with the rear sprocket perfectly and the tension is again within tolerance.

I put the bike on a stand, ran it in gear slowly and watched it round the sprocket while I lubed it. It ran smoothly.

I'm at a loss....

Any explanations?

Thank you! :coocoo:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Did you adjust the chain so that it's perfect while on the stand and the swingarm is at it's lowest position?

If so, you did it wrong.

Your chain should be adjusted with weight on the bike.. I've seen some guys who disconnect the lower shock mount and raise the swingarm..

There is a point in the travel of the swingarm that front of the front sprocket and the rear of the rear sprocket are going to be furthest away from one another, this is where the chain will be tightest. This is where you need to adjust at.

When it's at that point, you should have about 1 to 1.5 inches of movement in the chain.

If you have that amount of movement in the chain with the swingarm at it's lowest point, you are too tight!

Top Bottom