Noisy fork springs - brand new! Help

funkyfitz

Feb 15, 2004
I just had a set of Race Tech XR 400 .46kg/mm fork springs installed in my 1999 KDX 220. This was a professional installation with new oil, seals, dust cover etc. I assumed this would mean my forks would be as good as new since it cost $400 including parts and labour.

BUT...even at a walking pace when I hit the front brakes, they are very creaky, squeaky, noisy and sound like metal is rubbing on metal. It's not a grinding sound, just loud rubbing within the tubes. The mechanic said there is nothing he can do, but agrees they are significantly nosier than the stock .35kg/mm springs were. He also claims they are funtionally fine, just inconveniently noisy.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
take the top cap off the fork tube, then when you go to put them back together turn the tube to tighten the cap, not the top cap nut. this should fix your problem. search the forum as this has been adressed before.

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
I installed Fredette .40 springs in mine. They were pretty squeaky right after the install. Since then I've gone riding a couple times and 95% of the sqeaking is gone.

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Yup, add me to the list of noisy fork springs. After I installed stiffer springs, the forks squeaked really bad. Fiquring I did something wrong, I pulled the srings back out and found nothing wrong. I reinstalled and the squeak was gone. Go fiqure... I think it's just a matter of dry springs. After the springs get good and soaked with oil, the sqeak is gone. My suggestion, ride the bike for a while and the squeak may go away.

Squeak be gone........

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
mine dont squeak with my new springs, it sounds like one of them "CLICK" then you push it and slam the front brake. I dont notice it when Im riding.

Top Bottom