Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Oh boy.. I just installed some FRP .40 fork springs in both KDX's, and a Race Tech 5.2 shock spring on my 220. The improvement is almost unexplainable. I mean I just fell in love with my bike all over again. I was able to ride with much more confidence and ride faster, harder. I truely cannot believe the improvement. I did not think it was going to be that great. I think I will be sending my suspension back to FRP for some gold valves next.

Per Jeff F. I reused the stock spacer, the new springs were the same length, so I guess the preload would be the same. I set the clickers out 10, and bel ray 5w fork oil at 100mm (3 15/16"). I installed the rear shock spring with 3 1/4" sag. I assume the spring will soften up after a few rides and hopefully the race sag will be 3 1/2". We will see. I set both comp. and rebound at 10 clicks out also.

An even happier KDX rider :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :aj: :aj:
Lew

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Great, I know going to the 4.8 rear spring helped out a lot in the rear of my bike. I will probably have frp revalve and spring my front forks this winter, I already talked to them about it. Glad to know it helped.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I've had my Race-Tech 4.8 and .38s for about 6 months now and am very happy with their springs. This weekend I had everything apart to grease my steering stem and change my fork oil and noticed no change in front spring length.

10mm of preload of front, just like when I installed them. And my 100mm of rear sag hasn't changed either.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Lew:
Curious...what is the free sag with 3.25" race sag?
And, if 'hopefully' the shock spring will settle to 3.5", why not set it to that in the first place? (assuming you want 3.5" for some reason)

A balanced bike is MUCH more fun, 'eh?

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
canyncarvr; Fredette told me to start at 3 1/2" and fine tune from there. I am only assuming that the spring will settle in and end up at 3 1/2". I was going to get a few hours on the new springs before I started fiddling with clickers and final sag on the spring. The free sag right now is 3/4", race tech recommends .6" to 1". Like I mentioned I will put a few more hours on the suspension then adjust for premium ride. Yes the bike is sooo much more fun and I hope will only get better as I dial it all in.

JasonWho;
I am not going to sell my stock spring, sorry, I like to keep that stuff around. You never know when you will need it.
Lew

Last edited:

Dirtin'

Jan 2, 2002
What dose it cost to have a set of KDX forks and shock reworked by FRP?? new springs and a revalve? I have an 89 and the thing is sooo mushy.

Top Bottom