Nominees for 2006 Motocross of Nations

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
From Racer X:

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has announced the results of the online nomination process for AMA Team USA, presented by Loretta Lynn's, which will compete at the 2006 Motocross of Nations, scheduled for September 23 - 24 at Matterley Basin/Winchester, Great Britain.

The final nominees, in alphabetical order, are Mike Alessi, Ricky
Carmichael, Thomas Hahn, David Millsaps, James Stewart, Ryan Villopoto, Nicholas Wey, and Kevin Windham.

Beginning this week, motocross fans can visit AMADirectlink.com to vote on these eight nominees, in return for a per-vote contribution of $5.00 or more to a fundraiser supporting the team.

The members of AMA Team USA, presented by Loretta Lynn's, will be announced during the 2006 AMA Air Nautiques Amateur Motocross National Championships, scheduled for July 31 - August 5 at Loretta Lynn Ranch in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee.

Loretta Lynn's, presenting sponsor of AMA Team USA, is marking its 25th year of hosting the AMA Air Nautiques Amateur Motocross National Championships.

Often called "The Olympics of Motorcycling," the Motocross of Nations features three-rider teams from around the world competing in three races, or motos. In 2005, Team USA defeated a strong international field to take its 16th winner's trophy, its first since 2000. From 1981 to 1993, Team USA was undefeated in the Motocross of Nations, winning 13 straight times.

All proceeds from the online fundraiser will go toward supporting AMA
Team USA, presented by Loretta Lynn's. Final team selection will be made by the AMA.

So who do you think should go?? Barring injury, i will vote for RC, Stewart & Nick Wey

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
rodH said:
how does the "open" class work?? (didn't it use to be 500CC bikes?).
it's "open" to any bike. I suppose if some doink wanted to run a 125 he could.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I only hope Alessi doesn't get picked. Don't reward that punk or his family for their behavior. Villapoto or anyone else for the 125 class.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Alessi's father is a PR disaster, and Mike had one major meltdown, but he has been pretty humble since then, and he's shown a lot of heart and speed. I'd probably pick him over Villy because he's paid his dues a bit more. I think Kevin has probably had his chance, though I wouldn't mind seeing him go again. Millsaps is showing a lot of speed and character, but he hasn't really proven himself yet, either. All in all, I'd probably pick RC, JBS, and KW, with Alessi as my fourth choice, Villy as fifth.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
It's kinda cool that the fans can show their support for the US and select the team with their donations, but two of those guys probably made enough money combined in the last year to give $5 to something like 4 million fans!

RC and Steward are givens - assuming no injury - and Nick Wey would also be a great pick IMO.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I was thinking put Stewart on a 250f and Rc & Wey on the 450's.. Alessi would be a good choice, has experience in Europe.. Bottom line is he is fast..

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hummm. why Stewart on a 250F? Have you seen him on one, or just a hunch?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Just a hunch, wouldnt want too see him out front w/RC and go down..

Mxrider26x

Apr 29, 2006
Nick Wey is a great guy and we all love that he is a hard working privateer, but their are plenty of better choices than him for Motocross des Nations.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Wonder why Ivan didn't make the final cut. I know he's hurt for outdoors, but he had a pretty good SX season and he stepped up big for us last year. Wonder is something is more serious with him than we know, or did I miss something?

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
rickyd said:
I was thinking put Stewart on a 250f and Rc & Wey on the 450's.. Alessi would be a good choice, has experience in Europe.. Bottom line is he is fast..
As fast as Bubba is, has anyone heard if he is even committed to this? He has always turned it down in the past, has he had a change of heart?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Bubba has said he wants to go this year. Should he ride the 450 class or the Open class? Wouldn't it be cool to see him on an overbored KX501 or something?

exempt

May 21, 2006
Well after seeing Villy at Budds Creek, I'll take him for mx2. RC is a shoe in because one, he won Budds Creek hands down, and two, it's his last year, why not crown him best in the world. But in the open class, it's hard to decide. YES, JBS is extremely fast, but I think consistency is a problem, barring injury however, he's hard to beat. So I'd take him.

Top Bottom