Noob here, and I have alot of questions!

Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
Hi, I'm shopping for my first bike and my friend linked me here so I figured I'd check it out and find out some info.

Little bit of background- I'm 22 yrs old, around 300 lbs (so yeah i need mucho suspension), I've been riding snowmobiles since before I can remember, I'm used to higher HP machines (currently ride an F7 if you also ride sleds), and I'm looking for a summer hobby. I was looking at quads too but utility quads are too slow and almost everyone I know has a bike instead of a quad so I thought I should do the same. I've never so much as sat on a bike so I'm as amateur as you can get, and I've never ridden anything but sleds and automatic quads.

Being a big guy, most people say I should get a 250F, some even say to go with a 450 but others say I will kill myself. I'm pretty sure I can get used to power quickly so I do want something that is too big for me that I can grow into. I'm also pretty sure I want a race bike (YZ, KX, CR, RM, etc) but I'm open to other models too. I know I want a 4-stroke too, more reliable and not as finicky.

So here are my questions:

What size you recommend I buy?

What type of bike do you recommend? (race, dualsport, etc)

What brand do you suggest? I'm not partial but my friends own mostly Yam and Kawi.

What are some common problems with certain models, certain chassis, motors, etc?

How many hours would you say is too high? Friend of mine told me to get something with under 50.

Aftermarket parts like exhaust, which ones gain power, which lose it?

What gear should I buy? For sledding all I wear is a helmet (of coarse) and sled boots with ankle protection. Should I invest in riding boots, braces, protective vest? I don't plan on jumping huge or whiping out but you never know.

I live in Manitoba, do I have to register the bike? Can I if I want to so I can insure it?

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Frist let me straighten this out. A Newer 4 stroke is NOT going to be more reliable the a 2 stroke, in fact it will cost MORE to maintain.
Second I would recomend you get a 450, they are not that hard to ride and they have a lot of torque.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You are kind of all over the map here with bikes and aftermarket accessories etc, let's start with the basics.

Hard for us to recommend a model of bike with no idea your plans for usage? Do you plan to ride MX tracks exclusively, hit the trails at Seddons and Carberry or ride fire roads and the such that you will need a street legal dualsport? I sense from your post you have very limited or no bike expereince at all is this correct? We need to know the budget you have in mind for this purchase as well.

A modern race 4 stroke is every bit as much maintenance as a 2 stroke or you risk a catastrophic failure that will murder your wallet.

As far as hours it's pretty much irrelevant, what is more important is what maintenance it saw during those hours. A bike with 45 hours on it that had one oil change and one air filter change could have a completely hammered engine just waiting for a reason to come unglued.

As far as gear the absolute minimum I would recommend is a good helmet, MX boots, googles, gloves and a chest protector that has a back plate. If you're interested I have an Acerbis XL chest protector that is designed for big guys that doesn't fit me anymore after I lost a bit of weight, I'd let it go for $40.

Registration/Insurance in Manitoba is also different depending on the use. Obviously a dualsport would fall under MPI if you are planning to plate it for road use. Otherwise as long as you will never race the bike at any time you will be able to get OHV insurance and a plate the same way you do for your F7 and any other Utility Quad. If you plan to race MPI will deny you any type of coverage even basic fire/theft and you will be forced to find an insurance company that will add the bikes onto your household policy (I've only found 1 so far).

Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
Chili said:
You are kind of all over the map here with bikes and aftermarket accessories etc, let's start with the basics.

Hard for us to recommend a model of bike with no idea your plans for usage? Do you plan to ride MX tracks exclusively, hit the trails at Seddons and Carberry or ride fire roads and the such that you will need a street legal dualsport? I sense from your post you have very limited or no bike expereince at all is this correct? We need to know the budget you have in mind for this purchase as well.

A modern race 4 stroke is every bit as much maintenance as a 2 stroke or you risk a catastrophic failure that will murder your wallet.

As far as hours it's pretty much irrelevant, what is more important is what maintenance it saw during those hours. A bike with 45 hours on it that had one oil change and one air filter change could have a completely hammered engine just waiting for a reason to come unglued.

As far as gear the absolute minimum I would recommend is a good helmet, MX boots, googles, gloves and a chest protector that has a back plate. If you're interested I have an Acerbis XL chest protector that is designed for big guys that doesn't fit me anymore after I lost a bit of weight, I'd let it go for $40.

Registration/Insurance in Manitoba is also different depending on the use. Obviously a dualsport would fall under MPI if you are planning to plate it for road use. Otherwise as long as you will never race the bike at any time you will be able to get OHV insurance and a plate the same way you do for your F7 and any other Utility Quad. If you plan to race MPI will deny you any type of coverage even basic fire/theft and you will be forced to find an insurance company that will add the bikes onto your household policy (I've only found 1 so far).

I plan to ride it mainly in sand pits, dunes, and trails like Sandilands/Seddons. I don't plan on jumping huge, the most air I'm currently comfortable with is about 3' on a sled.

You're correct, I have no bike experience at all, just looking to get into a summer sport so I don't sit and pout from May to December waiting for snow.

Max I'm looking to spend is $3500, which from what I've seen on Kijiji can get me a pretty decent bike, maybe even an 04/05 450F.

So if a race 250/450F can be a time bomb, what should I get that will be reliable but still powerful enough to make me **** my pants?

I'm very interested in the chest protector, I have about a 50-52" chest, will it fit? I don't plan on racing the bike and I'm very interested in getting insurance on it. A dualsport may be more to my liking because I could ride it on the road, but then would I need a motorcycle license?

Thanks,
Ryan

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
To be honest I'd generally never recommend this but given your size and the fact you are looking at a 3+ yer old bike budget I'd suggest a 250 2 Stroke. It has plenty of the holy crap factor you seem to be after.

Used bikes are a risky proposition unless you are very aware of the bikes history and the maintenance it has seen regardless of a 250F, 450F or 125 and 250 2 strokes. A 250 2 stroke catastrophic failure can be fixed for about 50% of the same failure on a 450F.

You are not going to find anything in a dualsport that will send a shiver down your spine and yes you would need your class 6 endorsement.

The chest protector is the largest on the market that I'm aware of and should fit just fine.

Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
Picked it up yesterday - 02 KX 250. Raced 2 seasons but in great shape still for the year, all stock except for Fly bars, somewhere between 75-100 hrs which isn't unreasonable for an 02 I've been told, original piston and rings.

Attachments

• KX.jpeg
    KX.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 154

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
75-100 hours with original piston on a bike that's been raced? :think:

Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
jackflack44 said:
75-100 hours with original piston on a bike that's been raced? :think:

Raced 2 seasons and then ridden recreationally for a bit, that's what the guy told me. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it checked out at a Kawi dealer.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
And get some fork guards. If those tubes get nicked up by rocks they can tear up fork seals.

Top Bottom