Mikeolsenxxx

Sep 2, 2007
hey, completely new to motorcycles, just went out on my friend's dad's bike the other day at some off road place and LOVED it. I was looking into maybe buying a bike so I was kind of scavengering through the forum and saw all the weird types of names, and I dont really get like what part of the name applies to what, EG: "CRF150R EXPERT" now the first two letters apply to the brand but thats about all i got. any help?

misfitfmx

Aug 13, 2007
The F indicates that its a Four Stroke Bike. Expert of course means that it is for someone with experience and it isn't a beginner's bike. You'll get used to it the more you're around it, just take the time out to look into it. Google is your friend.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
misfitfmx said:
Expert of course means that it is for someone with experience and it isn't a beginner's bike.

It's nothing like that.

The term "expert" when used in the context of mini-racers generally refers to the chassis using a larger wheel size. Expert bikes are also called "big wheel" bikes.

CRF150R Standard (small wheel) uses :
Front Tire 70/100-17
Rear Tire 90/100-14

CRF150R Expert (big wheel) uses:
Front Tire 70/100-19
Rear Tire 90/100-16

Other than a few minor frame differences they are essentially the same bike. They are just built for different age & size riders and tend to run in different classes.

misfitfmx

Aug 13, 2007
I just got schooled. Thank you for pointing that out and correcting me though, I didn't know that. By the way, how many inches do you think the Wheel's on my Bike should be? I was thinkin 19, the one's on my Bike now are pretty big.

jayden122

Aug 4, 2007
the 150 means 150cc's and the r means race i think. because there is a crf150f aswell and thats a more trail/farm riding bike.
for example: a CRF250R would be a honda 250cc four stroke race bike.
these are the brands of bikes and the 2/4 stroke letters.
Suzuki: RM (2 stroke) RM-Z (4 stroke)
Kawasaki: KX (2 stroke) KX-F (4)
KTM: SX (2) SX-F (4)
HONDA : CR (2) CRF (4)
Yamaha: YZ (2) YZ-F (4)

Hope that helps at all.
cheers, jayden

Top Bottom