Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I don't know what I could have done when I changed my fork seals but I can tell it's not as goos as before.
This was my 1st seal change & oil change on my 01 125sx with 43mm WP's. I measured the oil height before I started on the fork that didn't have the blown seal, it measured 130mm from top, forks collapsed and springs out. I replaced the seals and filled back up with 5wt maxima. I bled all the air out when filling, poured oil in the damping rod and slid it up & down but I'm botoming out pretty hard. I am hitting some really big braking bumps and I can feel the front end as well as hear it clanging when I hit.
I didn't change any clicker adjustments yet. The suspension was done by Factory Connection prior to me buying the bike so I don't know if the viscosity of the oil is different.

Any suggestions? I would think I don't need to go any higher than 130mm on the oil height.

Thanks

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jeff when you set the oil height did you overfill the forks 1st then draw out the fluid?This leaves approx 30mm of oil between the inner and outer tubes so your level maybe alot lower than you think.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I bet that's what it is. I just filled the tube and worked it up & down to get the air out. It makes sense when you bring it up now that by over filling it would fill the other part of the tube. I'll take it apart tonight and fix.
Thanks for the help, I now have 20-20 hind sight.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Okay, I'm about to take a look at it.

when I fill the inner tube I fill the outer as well. Fill to over full then work the tubes and rod up & down to purge all air. Remove to proper level. Should I leave the springs in even though they aren't compressed to get my measurement?
I'll figure this out some day;)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Finished again..I hope

You were right Marcus, not near as much oil in there as I thought, I was about 160mm with air still in the system. I over filled and watched the air bubbles come up. I worked it up and down a few times till it felt smooth and removed to 130mm.

I also found that the rebound clicker on the left fork had come loose pushing the rod all the way down. I fixed that problem, now all I have to do is wait for daylight to test. Thanks again, again.:)

Top Bottom