Not enough power? What do you think? Am i wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
They are right, not even the 125 will be under powered but, my first bike was a 1981 RM 125. I rode it till I blew the motor up, didnt own another bike for over 12 years, but rode various 125 and 250 2 strokes. Then a buddy of mine got a 2004 Yamaha YZ 450F, I rode it and WOW!, 2 weeks later I went and bought a Suzuki RMZ 450. So I am pretty much a beginner on a 450, there may be more maintainance envolved, but its not a whole lot more, besides its kinda fun to do. I will never have any desire for any 2 smoke ever. Thumpers are the way to go. Check your valves every 15 hours or so, change your oil religiosly and your air filter as often, like every other ride and you will be ok, you will never need performance parts for new 4 stroke 250's or 450's, they will always be fast enough. I never need all the power my 450 has, but its cool to have it there. 4 strokes rule!

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006

well.. i didnt know. I learned now. After i rode my friends 97 RM80 (bored out bigger, Racing EVERTHING) it put me in the back of the seat the first time i rode it, i was like...WOW... But within 2 hours i found myself pushing past my friend.. riding weelies, jumping it, and high speed runs.. So i think i would get used to any bike, it would just take me a little longer...

i still like the yz though but im pending

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I think if you get a 250 two-stroke you'll end up in the hospital.

For the riding you want to do, you shouldn't be looking at a motocross bike. I'd suggest you look for a used KTM200EXC or GasGas EC200. These bikes make good power (my EC200 comes on almost as strong as a 250 in the midrange) but are a little more managable than a 250. They also have lights and are VERY reliable.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006

Yea.. most likely. But i don't really like Suzuki. And there is no where to get KTM parts around here.. wait, there was a KTM shop at the Dirt Bike track.. but i don't know if its still there (anyone go to Switchback in PA? Is KTM still there?) But anyway i was looking at the YZ125, and maybe buying a aftermarket light kit for it, But my yard is pretty much a hill, and kind of short. And my buds RM80 is almost perfect for here in the trails. Its not to strong on the low end, but if you get some momentum when hitting the hill, he has no problem making it up. And i live right next door to Switchback (dirt bike track) so i would most likely be riding over there once i got comfortable on the bike, and get my moms trust.

What about a 06 Kawasaki KX125 Vs. 06 Yamaha YZ125 what would win in a head to head do you think? because the Kawasaki store is the closest to me.

I don't know... I still the the YZ125 with a aftermarket headlight (but i'm unsure how it hooks up.. does it connect to the stator?)

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You will have to get the stator rewound by a place like Baja designs to put out extra power for a headlight. www.bajadesigns.com

For KX125 vs YZ125, you're a new rider, either bike will be PLENTY for you. It's 95% rider, maybe 5% bike. Josh Grant riding a 250F could keep up with Kevin Windham on a 450F. Displacement is overrated.

If you're riding primarily motocross, get a motocross bike. Otherwise you'd be better off on a KTM200 or GasGas DE200. GasGas is not made by Suzuki, by the way. GasGas is its own brand, manufactured in Spain. I've had great luck with my Gasser over 2 years of riding. Only 1 break down and I beat the crap out of my bike. Parts are easy to get as GasGas dealers are great for having parts in stock and there are also a lot of cross over parts with other brands (Honda CR brakes, Kawasaki KX carburetor, Yamaha brake pedal, etc).

I also motocross my Gasser fairly often just for fun and it's just fine on the track.

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Wow.
I've owned many bikes and have stepped down from a CR500 and KTM 300 to a Husqvarna WR125.Most of the reason is on long technical rides whats the point with power you don't use and I was just getting tired.To the fellow who said a 125 is too small for you I'm over 200lbs and keep up with and pass bikes with 3 times the displacement.With a smaller motor you do not have a real low end but the motor is a power house in the mid and high range. I find I'm having way more fun on this wee bike and 209lbs is easy to fling around and carry over rocks.
If your trail riding and you want a twostroke look for one set up for trails not motocross.Choose your weapon wisely, don't go to a gun fight with a knife.
I'd buy a used KDX220, extremely capable and you can fix it and learn about motors easily.When you feel its slow with just a pipe change you have a different bike!

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
I got a rm 125 when i was 14, I was riding a km 100(same think as yours) prior to that. It was a huge move!! Once I got used to it it was a blast. I live in northwest PA, up by the lake, where theres a ton of vineyards and some decent trails. It was a bit much in the woods where you needed low, smooth power. I could, however, beat a friend on a 250 through the woods. I also had a friend on an XR100 who could hang with me most of the time if it was muddy. I had that bike for 3 years. I then took a 5 year leave of absence from riding before getting my 02 rm 250. I have had this bike for a year and am selling to replace with a crf 250. It is way to much to have fun in the woods with. I recommend a 125 for you. Learn how to use the clutch. This will make you a better rider for life. 4 strokes make you lazy, they have more low end so you dont have to use as much clutch. Learning on a 2 stroke for a year or two will do yuo good. They are cheap to buy and maintain. You can buy a 3 or 4 year old bike and sell in a year or two for close to what you paid. Anyway good luck and let us know what you do! :yeehaw:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yea i don't want a 4-stroke. Alot more Maintainance... And i just like the zippyness and sound, and power of a 2-stroke!

I like the GasGas.. but it doesn't see to have a wide variety, or availability of parts. And the KDX200 or 220 is still a large possibility. Its just i kind of like the YZ125 The most because it has a VERY large variety of performance parts or replacements parts. And i can easily put a headlight, on it (beside the fact of getting a new stator or getting the previous one rewound...) And i could get more low end power with reeds and a new Exhaust pipe. etc.. I DO want to get some track time. Expecually when i get used to the power of the bike and comfortable riding it.

We will see. I know a few people that ride a YZ85 around here on the trails. And a RM80 and it seems to do fine.

Jan 6, 2007
I have a yzf-250 that i race with, but i have trail ridin it and it didnt go that bad. I am 15 and weigh about 150-160. Im about 5' 10'' and i wouldnt even think about getting a bigger bike for awhile. A 250f has plenty of power for me.

csmutty

Uhhh...
Feb 28, 2006
I have a KDX200 that is fairly modded and it can carve trails much better than my friends kx125 that is fully modded. I think it all depends on what you want to do. Personally I would reccomend either a KDX200 or a KTM200. The KDX has great low end power and bolt on mods really wake the KDX up. I have a few engine mods and it pulls great down low and is very easy to ride. I was kind of afraid to ride it at first but I got the hang of it and now I can flick it around like nothing. The best part is that it still has power to spare. And when I really wound my KDX out it would easily smoke my friends kx125. And another good thing about the KDX's is that you can have them jetted rich and they WILL NOT foul plugs. I have my KDX jetted pretty rich as I want my top end to last for a long time and I have NEVER fouled a plug on the bike. The top ends on a KDX also last much longer than those on a motorcross 125 bike. I have never rode my KDX on a track as I only race harescrambles but I have heard of people that raced the KDX's and have done ok on them. And I moved up to the KDX from a xr100 and I have done fine so I think it would be the ideal move for you.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
since a light seems very important a kdx has a light stock also you were talking about needing a varity of parts a kdx has that i know people have done ok on a kdx on the track just as long as you dont need to win

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well I could live without a light, And ive been looking at them on BajaDesigns. but they are like $400.00 + and then on top of that i have to get a new stator, or my stator re-wound. Ill tape a flashlight to the bike as long as i can see. And i dont plan on riding in the dark that much. I only ride at night when we have a party or if i ride most of the day and it prolongs into the night. And i HAVE to be in my yard at nigth so it really doesnt matter. I would go to trails, but i dont plan on being out there after dark, If i was, i would be in BIG trouble.

And i live right next door to a dirtbike track (Switchback PA) And if i get a dirtbike i would like to be able to race competetivley once i get very used to the bike. And i am competetive, i like to win and hate to lose. Also i figured the YZ125 would do fine, my yard is 5 acres of a square, i cant leave 3rd gear befor i have to slow down/turn. And it is a slight up hill. And the trails are huge and long, there all skinny and tight and uphil/down hill and what not, so sort gears might be nice.

I dont know, First i was hooked onto a CRF250X but then once i red into it about all the problems, and the maintenece, i got kinda torn away from it, and now i LOVE the YZ125, the zippyniss, weight, and sound of it is awsome, along with it being cheaper, and less to maintain its like perfect for me.

I like KDX but i don't think it is right for me because i ride in my yard alot more than anything at all, and its somewhat of a small yard (when your riding, but it gets 12 times bigger when i have to mow it...=( ) And the fact that i live next dore to a dirtbike track. You can bet ill be over there on parctice days. etc.

So i think the YZ125 is best for me. My friend does just fine with his RM80. And i like the powerband, its fun to have that kick of power =O. It would take ALOT for me to change my mind at this point.

But i have been kinda mixed up on the YZ125, or the KX125, but from what ive read, the YZ is better, lightr, and faster than the Kx so yea.

Also Thanks for the help to everyoone who replied. And if you think im woring about what i stated above please tell me what you think. The more opinions the better!

Jan 3, 2007
I thinke your logic is off there Moparman1539. A KE100 was a 2 stroke air cooled dual propose bike. A new 125 is race 2 stroke with liquid cooling.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
They already establised that to me in the earlier posts. This is OLD. But it did set me straight on everything. If you want to be up to date, read my last post before this.

Jan 3, 2007
Sorry i did not see the page i was on. I am going for a 07 YZ250 this coming summer and i am 14 5 foot 10 and 225 pounds. Via i am not feeling the 125s. Also, 125s dont make the best woods bike. If i wasd you i would go for the KDX200 or 220. Good luck on what you pick.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
Mmm.. This thread may be older.. but I figure I'll chime in for fun, since it's sorta been reborn. You say you want a bike that you're not going to grow out of anytime soon, and is good for trails, so how about a KTM 200 EXC. It's a 200 two stroke. While I agree you're probably not going to feel limited on a 125 two stroke anytime soon, but the 125EXCs are harder to come by if you're looking for a trail bike. I've had an opportunity to ride a 200 a few times coming off my 300EXC, and it is a blast. Fun bikes, and good for the trails.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Oh man your killin me! I pick this bike, no not good enough to hard i don't like it. err.. SOO MANY CHOICES HAHA seriously!

But the closest KTM dealer is 50 miles away. And i NEVER saw a used KTM for sale around here except for a KTM250XCF-W, and it was 3 years old and $5000.00 and at the time it was about $4980.00 over my budget :).

I don't know, like i said in my last post which was a mile long, i don't plan on riding the trails ALOT! mostly my short(feels like it) square yard, and i live 50ft from a dirt bike track, i can smell the dirt bikes when they start up! (nobody complains, i like to hear the roar of the engines, but some 4-strokes can be excessive over noise) But yea. i WILL be over there! i wish i could test drive each of these beasts before i bought one (anyone got a Yz125, and a KDX220, and a KTM 250 EXC thats willing to let me test drive there bikes?, Hehe) I know if i bought any one of these bike i WOULDN'T be disappointed, but i just need to find the right one for MY needs, and its a bit more complicated than i thought.

Anymore comments?

~(V)opar

Jan 3, 2007
KTM did not make a 250XCF-W 3 years ago. The listing must have been wrong. Your right you neeed to find a bike that is suitted for your ridding and your needs. Good luck and stay on the throttle hard.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Im not positive what it was. I just went on there website and picked a 4-stroke 250, becasue it was a MX racing 4 stroke KTM something. So sorry for that :) i was trying to be smart, and i didnt know what it was.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
Moparman1539 said:
Oh man your killin me! I pick this bike, no not good enough to hard i don't like it. err.. SOO MANY CHOICES HAHA seriously!

Just trying to offer suggestions. You had said previously in your thread that you were looking for a bike with a headlight for trails at night, so I assumed you were going to be riding mostly trails. Didn't know you lived so much to a track. But you could go for a 200MXC (has a lighting coil still on it so you can add a headlight easy) that is sort of in between MX and trail riding ;).

I'm not saying the other bikes aren't good enough/whatever, I'm just trying to offer different options. After all, you did come here asking for suggestions, and that's all I'm trying to offer. Obviously the final choice is up to you.

Oh and by the way, I was reading your post on the page before this, and the YZ125 is a great bike. I'm sure whatever you eventually pick you'll be happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…