Not honed on last top end = low comp?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Hey,
I had a 1994 RM125 (just sold it last week). I was sitting here lastnight and had a thought pop into my head. The bike had not been running for the last year due to low comp, which I did not know till about a month ago. What Im thinking is because I didnt hone the cylinder last time I did a topend (my friend talked me out of it.. I should have just got it done anyways), that the rings did not seat properly and it lost compression fast. There was only 6 hours on the topend before it quit on me.

It isnt really important now, but I was just wondering if anyone thinks this would be the problem, so I can help out the guy who bought it. Too bad I didnt think of it before I sold it.. ohwell cant go back now.

Thanks..

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Could be part of the problem. Were there still crosshatch marks visible on the cylinder?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
They were visable somewhat, but the cylinder didnt look like it was just honed. This is the kind of thing that makes you feel dumb lol, when I could have maybe fixed for probably 40$ and still have a bike instead of selling it for only 650. Ohwell.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Did you check the end gap on the new ring before you installed it?

I would expect any problem from not honing the cylinder would be there from the first time you started the engine. I wouldn't expect it to cause the engine to quit after 6 hours.

Too tight of an end gap on the ring could have done that, however.

Rod

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I have absolutely no cross-hatching left in my cylinder. I replaced the rings and piston recently without honing. I have since put another 15+ hours on the motor and it still runs great. You don't really need to hone the 2-strokes.

Top Bottom