dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Today I witnessed something very rare in today's society (at least in Seattle)... a random act of kindness (ie courtesy.) An older gentleman (mid 50's) riding my bus asked the bus driver to let him off on the corner and wait for him so he could pick up a lady's purse (that she had unknowingly dropped) and return it to her. The driver stopped and the man did just that... ran back to collect the purse, then ran to catch up to her to return it... during all of this the bus driver waited patiently on the corner. Not a single passenger complained about the bus just sitting there. As he returned the purse you could hear her say "God bless you." When he had settled back in his seat the entire bus clapped in acknowledgement and appreciation for what he had done. I know it's probably not 'touching' or 'heart-warming' to some of you, but it is reassuring to know that there are still selfless people who live among us. :D

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Hell yes D, thats a cool thing. People used to go out of their way to help others out, but in todays society, its rarely seen. I try to do nice stuff for people when I am able (except when driving. :p)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I like to hear stories like the one dirty~d tells, it warms my heart actually. It astounds me at times to see human courtesy extended, almost as if it were un-natural in the sense that people seldom give freely. It's sad that something free and easy (a kind word, a helping hand) is overlooked when in fact it can be exponentially beneficial to the recipient.

On a side note, the Produce Guy at the grocery store once followed me all the way to the Dairy Dept to return the sunglasses I dropped! :confused:

CrazyTed

Jul 26, 1999
It's kinda funny. I live in an area called Hampton Roads. It's made up of several cities. Most people around here won't even stop if you're lying dead in the road except to move you out of the way. When I go to my races in the country, I find the people are so much more friendly. We're looking to move to escape this area now and this is one of the reasons. Just good people being friendly.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

B

biglou

Back in the "Scary Lou" days, I used to love seeing the look on peoples faces when they realized that I was actually a very nice guy. :) I remember holdong the door for an elderly gentleman at the bank one day and he was shocked that I waited several seconds for him to get to the doorway. He said, "Is that for me?" "Yes, sir." I replied. Warms my heart, too. I was just doing my part to keep people from "Judging a book by its cover"! :D

BTW-Nowadays, I usually look like this: :o But I used to look like this: :aj:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Acts such as the one described by d are true miracles, because they are outside of our tribe, if you will. We are all quick to help people of our own but rarely extend a helping hand to the invisible and unseen of the world. There is a great deal of satisfaction in helping without any expectations of a ROI.

BTW, d, careful with the descriptions ... I resemble that statement. :)

Originally posted by dirty~d~
An older gentleman (mid 50's) ... [/B]

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
There is hope.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
:)

Great story, Diane. We need to read more stories like that, I think.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Hey CrazyTed, get away from from Va. My wife and I are from Arkansas and we moved to Va last October (military), those were by and far the rudest people we have ever met. We were extremely unhappy the entire time we lived there, we moved to Florida in June. You've got to go south. It feels good to be around warm-hearted southerners again. People smile and say hi when you pass them on the sidewalk -- it's nice.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Happens all the time in the south. I stopped last Weds in the pouring rain to help a lady who had run out of gas. Took her to get gas and got soaking wet putting it in her car and all I could think is "what if this was my mother or wife". Gave me a good feeling to help.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Hey, it's not just a Southern thing. We have a whole lot of real nice friendly people right here in Iowa. People wave at you whether they know you or not.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Tony Eeds

BTW, d, careful with the descriptions ... I resemble that statement. :)

Sweetie, I'm 24... to me mid 50's is oldER ... not OLD. ;) I was careful with my description. :cool:

I've seen selflessness out in the country on a daily basis, but not this close to the city. Seattle dwellers, for the most part, go out of their way to AVOID helping others. It must be the coffee. :confused:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Back in my pre-secretary days when I was still running the grader, you would not believe the people who would dang near break their arm waving at me! Of course, they were balanced out by the ones that only waved with one finger (and they got a little extra something in their driveways in the winter :debil: ), but that comes with the job. I'm more amazed by the people who were flabbergasted that I'd jump out of the grader to help 'em out with one thing or another. That's just the way you're supposed to act.

But then again, maybe it was a look of fear seeing this freaking giant leap down out of the grader and come running toward them! "We're all gonna die!" :scream: I of course alleviated their fears (eventually :D).

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by dirty~d~
Sweetie, I'm 24... to me mid 50's is oldER ... not OLD. ;) I was careful with my description. :cool:

Sniff, I'mmmm just the sensitive type. FYI, my kids say I'm old and they are 4 years older than you!

I've seen selflessness out in the country on a daily basis, but not this close to the city. Seattle dwellers, for the most part, go out of their way to AVOID helping others. It must be the coffee. :confused:

I spend a week or so in Seattle every year and I can't say they are any worse than anywhere else. It may be my internal wiring, but I love the confused and dazed expressions I get when I hold the door or say thank you to someone.

I love West Texas where people wave as you pass. Somewhere around every city there is an invisible line between the city and the country where the city attitudes and influence stops. You can tell it in the people's attitudes, everybody is more friendly in the country.

That line is about as hard to find as the sweet tea line!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Hey Diane, that was my uncle.. He pulled $175 out of the purse before he got back in sight of the bus, says it was well worth it! ;)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Tony Eeds

I spend a week or so in Seattle every year...

I'm sorry. :eek: :confused:

I will say in the warmer climates it's a little easier, for the most part, to find courteous individuals.

Last edited:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Cam Mitchell
Hey Diane, that was my uncle.. He pulled $175 out of the purse before he got back in sight of the bus, says it was well worth it! ;)

Dang Canucks. Go home hoser! :confused: :moon:

Howser03

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
The south is much more courteous and polite. When my great uncle passed way like 3 months ago we drove down to North Carolina for the funeral. In the funeral procession I was amazed when all the other cars coming from the other direction pulled their car over on the side of the road to show their respect. My sister and I couldn't believe it because we have never even heard of this. Not a single car drove by as we were driving to the cemetary. Before seeing this I woulda been one of those assholes that woulda flew by at 50mph saying "hey, what the hell are these other cars doing?" And when there are no ambulances in my rearview..... vrrrrrrrmmmmm. It truely made me appreciate the south and the kind of people that are there. Maybe this seems normal for you a lot of you folk but I'm from Jersey and there are no nice people up there :confused:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
One time I was walking through the local mall and I had to tell this attractive young lady that her skirt was tucked into the back of her panty hose. Does that count? She didn't seem too grateful...

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
Howser, I always just thought that was what happened everywhere. The stuff you people are talking about happens every day here. SC is as good as it gets!

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Originally posted by Howser03
...I was amazed when all the other cars coming from the other direction pulled their car over on the side of the road to show their respect.

Here in Oklahoma that is common place. Actually, when my brothers wifes grandfather passed away, and we were going to the cemetary, one car didnt stop for the procession, and the lead police officer pulled him over to chew him out. I dont think its a law though, but Im not sure.

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by VintageDirt
One time I was walking through the local mall and I had to tell this attractive young lady that her skirt was tucked into the back of her panty hose. Does that count? She didn't seem too grateful...

Wes, you left out that you were in the dressing room a Victoria's Secret when it happened.......... :yeehaw:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
People don't do the right thing often because they are worried about getting hurt, killed, or they just plain don't care. My dad was not allowed to stop and help a person broke down on the side of the road when he was driving trucks, heck he wasn't allowed to fix HIS truck! He still did. He'll hold the door for young and old alike or help a stranger at Home Depot figure out their project when he's picking up nails. I learned from him when I was a kid and do the same things and I'm proud that my son does as well. People need to pull their head out of their butts and realize not every little old lady with a flat tire is going to club them, throw them in her trunk and bury ya' in a shallow grave. :)

Karma, it's what ya' make it.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the Pantless Wonder said:
People need to pull their head out of their butts and realize not every little old lady with a flat tire is going to club them, throw them in her trunk and bury ya' in a shallow grave.
No, but most of them li'l gray haired debbil wimmen will! ;)

Top Bottom