Eddiet

Nov 29, 2001
I could not find a 420 O ring chain. I bought 428 chain and sprockets for my sons KX100. Its a heavier and stronger chain and is working better than the 420.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
I have been having a good run with the DID NZ series in 420 and 428. I tend to lean towards the top line x ring RK's on the big bikes so to get good use out of the DID's suprised me. The YZ85 has a chain that should be run pretty loose so double check the slack. Best way is out with the shock, off with the spring, shock back in and check the chain tension right through the range. Last week end at the races two new 03 YZ85's had their chain way too tight.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I think what ACS is trying to say is check your Rebound and Compression. However, anytime you replace the chain, replace the sprockets too. If you don't it will kill the chain quick. Also go with an o-ring friendly lube and add some stainlees sprokets. Happy with mine!

Phillip

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
I'm trying to say actually check the chain tension right through the swingarm arc of travel. Taking the shock spring off makes it easy to do. On a new bike it also means that you get the oportunity to lube the bearings/linkages. There will be loose spots and tight spots both in the chain but more importantly in the arc of travel of the rear wheel.

RanMan

May 22, 2002
It came with a DID chain. Same as my DRZ except the DRZ came with an "O Ring" chain and I have only had to adjust it once in 8 months. I keep it very clean after riding, but this one on his YZ has had to be tightened after every ride almost. I know his should run a little looser than mine, but it just gets very very floppy. His XR kept the same chain for over a year and he rode the crap out it. Wish I had on odometer on it. At the rate it is going, the YZ is gonna have to have a new chain every 2 months or so. I know it has much more power than the XR, but do they usually stretch to a certain point and then begin to slow a little?

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
My 2 sons have raced yz 80´s,and 85´s since 98.Every two months?Sounds familiar!Ive always had the chains a little on the loose side,our home track is clay-ish,very hard on chains and brakepads,when wet/muddy!You can re-use the sprockets,if you change the chain in time,IMO.Often the last run on a worn out chain,ruins the sprockets!Ive seen o-ring chains in 428 size,but I dont know if theyre worth it.They will certainly steal more power than a normal chain!

DR4Ztrokes

Aug 16, 2001
Yikes, on my sons KX100's I was hoping to avoid the constant tightening of the chain that I had to do on their XR100s. For what its worth I think the stretching really slowed down after having to remove a link. I was hoping the strength of the KX chain was better, and if not that I could go option of buying an o-ring. Had not thought about a chain robbing power before. I will echo the comment on the DRZ400E, I had to adjust mine after the first ride and have not had to adjust it in almost two years. Hopefully after changing the tire on it this weekend this experience continues.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
I run the RK Gold series 428 chain on my sons RM85 and after the initial stretching, the chain stays pretty consistent. With racing on Sunday and usually another 6 -9 hours of practice during the week, the chain last around 45 - 60 days. Also depends on how muddy it is.

Personally, I wouldn't run an O-ring chain on an 85 or smaller bike.

mr.remote

~SPONSOR~
Aug 18, 2001
DID does make an O-Ring chain in a 420. I run one on my kx100. One warning the links size listed in the manual is WRONG. If my memory is correct I ended up going with a 126 link. I have had no problems running it and couldn't tell a loss of HP. You will have to find someone willing to take the time to look it up because nobody stocks the 420 O-Ring's. I got mine from Performance Motorsports(which merged with ACC). Hope this helps.

Top Bottom