Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I installed a O-ring chain for the first time over the weekend. Fun little task to say the least. Once the chain was in place and adjusted, with all hardware tightened. I spun the rear wheel only to find it did not spin as freely as a non O-ring chain. Thinking I may have tightened the rear axel to much, I loosed it and re-tightened once again with a little less torque. Still again, the rear wheel didn't spin as freely as it did with a non O-ring chain. As I was riding yesterday, I didn't notice any real ill effect on acceleration. Is it normal for a O-ring chain to cause the rear wheel to not spin as freely as a non O-ring chain? I know a O-ring chain is heavier and wider. The chain was a snug fit in the chain guide below the swing arm. Could this snug fit be causing this much drag?

Also when I installed the chain I noticed it kinks a little. I figured it would go away after getting some time on it from the first ride. Again, after riding the chain is still kinking some. Is this do to the O-rings in the chain?

Regards,
Sawblade

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Everything you state is a normal condition, IMO. And no, it probably won't loosen up.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm with Sr. on the occasional adjustment thing, BUT I do it with a non-ring chain! :D

It is very normal to experience a little drag from a ring chain. There is obviously more friction from the tighter set-up. Don't let it worry you, riding will lossen it up. The kinking thing is a bit troubleing though. Kinking can be a problem on less than quality ring chains, but most of them will not be a problem once you've got a ride or so in on it. I think DID does something to help the kinking thing on their chains.(my bet is they add slop)

Luber it now, and continue to lube it, it will help the problem and keep your o-rings soft and happy. Remeber that a ring chain is not maint. free....you need to lube between the roller and bushing as well as between the pin and plate. These areas are not protected by the rings. The only place protected is between the pin and the bushing. To neglect the maintenance on a ring chain is the hope of ring chain salesmen.

Oh yeah, the guy who claims his chain lasted two years before it broke, he may have gotten three with proper maint.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Case Rub?

I agree with Senior and Jaybird, it sounds pretty much normal. However, the O-ring chain I had on my '01 KX250 rubbed my case behind the front sprocket fairly significantly before I caught it. I'd check it to make sure you're OK. Non-Oring for me.

Good Luck,
Scott

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
I like only having to adjust the chain once or twice a year.:cool:

Exactly! That's why I broke down and went with the o-ring chain. I got sick of adjusting the chain all the time.

Jaybird,
Thanks for the tips as I was miss informed about the maintenance of a o-ring chain. I have some Honda chain lube that I won in a drawing that says its safe for o-ring chains. Guess I'm not going to get out of oiling the chain after all. ;)

Thanks again guys for answering my questions.

Sawblade

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Re: Case Rub?

Originally posted by bscottr
I agree with Senior and Jaybird, it sounds pretty much normal. However, the O-ring chain I had on my '01 KX250 rubbed my case behind the front sprocket fairly significantly before I caught it. I'd check it to make sure you're OK. Non-Oring for me.

Good Luck,
Scott

MY THOUGHT'S EXACTLY, my 98 cr 250 o ring rubbed the cases my 98 kx 250 same thing.I put another o ring on my 00 kx 250 I pushed on the chain and it would touch the cases I returned it. I will continue with the ERT.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Honda has a dry-film type lube and it would be an excellant choice.

Don't get me wrong, I like o-ring chains. But I only use them if it's muddy. That is what they are intended for, not to reduce maintenance as some think.

A quality non-ring chain will last every bit as long, or longer, than any o-ring chain of equal quality....I keep asking for wagers on a test, but no takers yet.:)

The only problem with non-ring chains is when they are used during muddy, gritty rides. Once water or mud has washed out the lube from the friction surfaces, it's going to wear until it gets cleaned and lubed again. Ring chains keep you from worrying about this as much and should be used in slop conditions.

The reason I say "keeps the rings soft and happy" is because once your rings dry out (probably from using WD-40...ut oh here it comes)....they will require lubrication. If they aren't getting it from you, then they WILL suck it out from the protected area behind the rings. Once this starts it will continue until there is no lube left under the ring. At this point you are on a downhill slide since you can't replentish the lube under the rings.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom