SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
I need to get a new chain and sprokets for my TLR 260. Would it be a mistake to put an o-ring chain on my bike? I know they sap a little HP, but at trials speeds it wouldn't seem to matter. Do any trials bikes come with an o-ring chain? Thanks guys!

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I think that the problem is not that they would reduce the power too much but more that the o-ring would slow down the intial zippyness when you want instant response to zap up something quickly. I wouldn't think this would be too much of a problem on your bike if you are not riding in the higher grades. Is longetivity the only reason that you're going to try this? I think that the normal non o-ring chains seem to last a decent length of time if you lube them often enough, and don't ride in very abrasive mud.

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Yep, lower levels, that would be me:D . During the past few years I've stopped using chain lube and started using silicone or WD-40 on my dirt bikes with o-ring chains (regina with anodized plates) with great results. It's just so nice to not hardly ever have to adjust my chain and have it clean to boot. I ride in dusty conditions so lube just to lapping compund :ugg: and I'm too lazy to clean them.

MikeOK

Aug 6, 2000
I have found that using a non O ring chain, then cleaning it well with WD40 works very well. The WD40 drys away and doesn't leave much for dirt to cling to. Using something like Tri-Flow causes the lapping compound hehehe to build up very fast.

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
Regular chains last a long, long time on a trials bike if they are kept clean. I suppose if you constantly ride in mud you might see some benefit to the o-ring chain, but most guys in my local club don't bother. The type and amount of power that these bikes make just isn't hard on chains, compared to other off road bikes.

bruce

Top Bottom