Observation made with transmission oil amount 01 CR250

resslera

Oct 4, 2006
Changed the trans oil for the first time on my 01 CR250. I was a tad confused considering the manual said to add 750ml, the case said 850ml and when I drained it, only 500ml came out.

I've seen recommendations in the past to fill until it trickles out the check hole. I did that and sure enough, it only took around 500 ml. I then sealed it up, and did the drill to check the oil per the manual: start for 3 min, let sit for 3 min, open check hole to see if oil drips out, if not then add. Turns out I had to add annother 200ml putting it to a total of 700ml which is close to what the book said to add.

Point being, adding oil after draining until it drips from the check bolt on CRs may bring you up short. I'd say add the amount in the manual or do what I did by running and adding until it trickles.

A

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If you pour the tranny oil in fast enough, it will splash off of the clutch basket and prematurely come out of the oil check hole. If it's poured slowly, it will usually be fairly close to the correct amount. I'm usually more concerned with how much is actually drained from the transmission. Too little could be caused by a leaking right-side crank seal. Then I replace the same amount of oil that was drained. Re-check oil level after running the bike for a couple of minutes and letting the oil settle for about 5 minutes.

Top Bottom