Off topic: MIG welding aluminum

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
Hey guys,
I have a Hobart Handler 135 MIG I have attempted to weld some aluminum with, but something is wrong. I picked up some .035" wire and "Stargon" (Argon/CO2 mix) from Oxarc, which they recommended, but I suspect this is the wrong gas. Anyone out there with any tips?

I also have access to a small Miller TIG. Would that be a better option? What gas do I use with that?

Thanks!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thanks for the links, Rich.:cool:

Oct 10, 2004
Ya man go with argon only thats what we use where I work. Also try to heat the almn with a propane or oxy accetelyne torch first before welding. It is supposed to help

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It was aluminum wire you picked up, yes?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
CO2 is used for steel only. Your welding supplier should know better than to give you a CO2 mix for aluminum MIG welding.

You not only need aluminum wire, but you need a new liner for your MIG torch. The liner in the torch will pick up bits of steel in it and this will contaminate aluminum welds if used with aluminum wire.

You also need more amperage to weld aluminum than you do steel. Most small MIG machines are not rated to weld aluminum as a result.

You'll probably have far better results by using that TIG welder you have access to than using the MIG machine you've been trying so far.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
the guys that run a lot of aluminum wire - like manufacturers of stock trailers - have a gadget called a "pulse box" that's pure magic. every mig machine i've run aluminum with - usually with a spool gun - creates tons of spatter and ash, no matter what gas you run. it's an ugly weld and a bitch to clean up. the pulse box basically turns the globular deposition into a spray deposition, and the welds are perfect! oh....the catch is that equipment is well north of a $1000 just for the box.

soooo....unless you're going into mass production, stick to the tig machine. most welding supply houses have a "magic gas" blend of argon, helium and some other stuff that will weld aluminum really nicely for just a little higher cost. oh, and don't use anything but stainless steel brushes to clean the metel before you weld.

have fun!

wp.

Top Bottom