owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Has anyone ever ran grade= to SL,SJ,SH??? The manual says run grade = to SE,SF, or SG. What I have is Havoline 10W30 grade SL,SJ,SH and was wondering if it is O.K. to run that or stick to the grade recomendations?

Obie #8 ;)

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
From what I've read somewhere, the later the letter in the alphabet after the S the better. That is, an SL rated oil means its meets or exceeds standards set for an SE, SF, SG, SH, or SJ and may be used for applications that call for one of these.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
The thing i have been told to watch out for is to NOT buy energy conserving oil. It will say so in the small circle on the bottle. The reason given was that it may cause clutch slipage due to extra ingredients which give it extra lubricity.

rvguy

May 31, 2002
Found this on the net.
The SL, SJ ratings denote the oil's performance rating for gasoline engines. The SL is newest and most recent standard, so oils that meet the SL standard also will meet all standards that came before it. (Not all oils have transitioned over to SL yet -- you will still find SJ, which is still fine for all current year engines.) Sometimes oil containers will include more than one "S" rating, such as the SL, SJ. This is simply for consumer convenience in identifying the correct oil, as oil meeting the SL standard also satisfies the earlier ones. So even if your owner's manual calls for SG or SH, you are still safe using SJ or SL today.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
THANKS, Y'all!!!This is why this is my favorite site. Y'all are too good. Going on a poker run today and needed to change the oil and was just wondering before I went if it would be OK. I'm changing now. SEEEEEEE YAAA!!!

Obie #8 ;)

Top Bottom