Oil in 300EXC - SAE30 or 80w gearoil?

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
I ran into this this weekend, when talking to another rider about fuel, oil/gas ratio's, etc. He said he puts 15W40 in his cases (RMX250). I am a bit unsure on proper oil. I looked up my manual and it calls for SAE 30 oil.

I put in 80w Belray Gearsaver 2-stroke gearbox oil when i re-assembled the motor. I always used this in my tranny for my 125 GP roadrace bikes with much success. I was advised this when i first got started, and followed suit since.

I did not notice my clutch slipping this past weekend, so i am furthur confused.

Please help this dirt-novice.

thanks,

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The motor oil and gear lube ratings are not really crossreferencable to one another. You can approximate them but the bottom line is run what works for ya'. I have a grabby clutch on my KTM360 so I tried different weights and settled on Type F ATF until I messed with some synthetic 30wt Powershift ATF which seemed to be the best solution so far for me.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I have used 80W Gear Saver since I bought my '99 300EXC two and a half years ago. I have had zero problems, smooth shifting and original clutch still in great shape.

pedesktm

Jan 6, 2000
Been using 80w Belray gear oil since my 99 300EXC was new. 3000miles later still on the same clutch. Change it around every 3-4 rides.

Fast Frank 1

Oct 31, 2000
I've started running Mobil 1 also because of this Form and my 99 300 exc still has the orginal clutch in it. I hear a lot of people swear by ATF but since this is like hydraulic fluid which works great under pressure how dose it stand up to the exhaust,carbon blow by and dirt in a 2 stroke engine?:think

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Fast Frank 1
how dose it stand up to the exhaust,carbon blow by and dirt in a 2 stroke engine?:think

If you have exhaust,carbon blow by and dirt in the gearbox of your engine the type of oil you are using is the least of your worries. :eek:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom