1999 kx 250 questions. Oil and suspension

cybrid3

Sep 7, 2009
Hi guys,

Just picked one of these up after a gap from riding for a while and need some advice from someone in the know.

I drained the oil today from the gearbox and went to replace it. It says on the side of the engine 0.85L so thats what I put in. However, I cannot see the oil in the window untill I lean the bike down. When its level, I cannot see any oil. Is this right?

My next question is, I put some brand new oil in, then drained it and it was a milky colour. When I lean the bike down, its milky, however, I am not loosing any coolant. The level has remained the same. There is what seems to be some small condensation in the windows. Any advice on this?

Next question would be about adjusting the suspension. I have not been able to pick up a manual yet, so which are the preload and rebound on the forks? Any recommendations for a rider 5'10 and 180lbs?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

kx2502009

Nov 1, 2009
You need to put oil in it untill it you can see it in the window while its level as for the milky oil mine was doing the same either you are getting coolant in the gear box from bad water pump seals or in my case the premix was mixing with the gearbox oil caused from the crankcases leaking around the crank.....by the way it doesnt take much coolant to make the oil milky

kx2502009

Nov 1, 2009
i think its real simple but then again i am into my bikes every day you may have to take the right side cover off take the water pump cover off there is a nut to take the impeller of then the seals are behind it and most of the time it will wear grooves onto the shaft which if not replaced will mess up the new seals the seals are cheap but the shaft is kinda pricey its a real simple job once your inside the water pump cover you will see the seals behind the impeller i believe there is 2 or three seals

Top Bottom