jakeyz250

Jul 26, 2004
I just popped off the cover of my ypvs on my 1990 yz250, and really old oil came out of there! My guess is that there isn't supposed to be any oil in there. Is that true. If so, where could the oil have came from.??? THanks

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
That oil is just unburnt 2-stroke oil. It is normal to have that, but you should clean the powervalve before reinstalling it.

jakeyz250

Jul 26, 2004
I don't have a manual for this bike... how should i go about uninstalling it, then cleaning it, then reinstalling it.... ???

Oh, and why isn't there any oil in my 82 yz250 ypvs?

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
I believe your '82 has a totally different type of powervalve. It should have the older cylindrical powervalve which has a lot more surface area and two seals on each side(o-ring and a seal). If you have never had it apart, and there is no oil built up under its' covers, chances are it is(and has been) stuck. The carbon builds up and won't allow anything to pass out of it.

Your '90 has a different setup and may have bad seals for the powervalve.

As far as dissasembly, cleanout and re-assembly, get a manual for your bike and read it. We could give you the idea but I couldn't provide you with details or pictures like the manual can.

blackoutyz125

Aug 7, 2004
I gota 89yz125 and it did the same for me, I pulled out the powervalve and put a new oil seal on it and oring, it still has oil in the area but its significantly less.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
By 97 Yamaha started putting a drain hole in the p/v cover. My manual says to "occasionally" drain the tar that sets in here.

I dont notice much in mine. Keeping fresh o rings on the p/v helps. A properly jetted bike also does wonders with this.

Still, there is nothing to worry about.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The 99 and up YZ250 motors have a continual powervalve drain hose. It seems to be constantly dripping oil no matter how well you jet the bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom