woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Antonyp wrote that he is having problems with oil buildup in his airbox that might very well be his oil injection unit causing some problems. Responses came back indicating that this could very well be the problem.
MAN WHERE HAVE I BEEN?? I THOUGHT INJECTION WENT OUT WITH THE YAMAHA ENDURO'S!!
Now I gotta ask what years did they offer KDX oil injection and on which bikes??
Woodsy

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
Thats right David. But the problem with these Japanese Models is that it is very difficult to get parts for! Do you have any idea how to get parts for these Japanese models? And what do you mean by "dumbed down models" of the normal KDX? Was that an insult for my bike? :whiner:
haha LOL :)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
So is the oil pump adaptable to the US KDX? Anyone know anyone that has done this or any web page describing this possibility?
VERY INTERESTING!
Woodsy

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There are other differences 'sides the injection. The carbs are wonky. Something like 28mm with a HUGE intake bell??

Seems there's a battry in there somewheres, too.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
The SR is not just Japanese domestic. Sold all around the world, but not US.

Dazza knows more about this than me, but the differences include road legal electrics with NO battery and plenty of alternator output, the oil injection system, steel fuel tank, heavier flywheel (nice), 28mm PE carby (restrictive, but torquey and economical), flange-mounted exhaust, 19inch rear wheel, slightly wider ratio gearbox (nice) and apparently in some countries, a different head.

It's easy to convert the SR's to pseudo-E-model specs by adding a 35mm carby and plastic fuel tank, etc. The engine porting is the same and with the flywheel and gearbox they make superb trail bikes.

My bike and Dazza's have had the injection system removed, maybe just to eliminate another variable. I kind-of wouldn't mind to have it back to avoid the premix hassle. As for hooking it up to a non-injection KDX, it would be possible, but you'd need to be keen. It would involve an engine case and the pump itself, plus an oil tank. Maybe more.

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
You are right about all except the rear wheel boot! Mine is actually wearing an 18 inch rear wheel. But hey Woodsy whaddaya know? I have an oil pump and tank that I don't need... MINE! I just made my KDX a premix bike. Somehow the oil injection was giving me problems. I think that the Motul 510 I was using just didn't want to mix properly with the petrol. Well, I actually prefer the bike to be oil injected cause for really long trips and country crossing you have to carry oil with you when you need to refuel the bike! That sucks! Especially if you are somewhere high up in the mountains and you are using the reserve fuel and need to find a nearby village with an old man selling petrol ASAP! Anywayz if you intend to oil inject modify your KDX besides the stuff boot mentioned you need the SR model intake manifold (connects the reed cage with carb) which has this special hole-in-tube on top in which you insert the tube that comes from the pump. Good Luck !!!

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I thought I had seen in the barrel of an SR & the ports were considerably smaller, although I was told it was an SR it may have been a KMX or some malarky or some years may be more restricted.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
I bet you could modify the non-SR intake manifold pretty easily by drilling it and glueing a tube into it for the oil injection point. There doesn't seem to be anything fancy about it. That way you could keep the larger manifold suitable for 35mm PWK carbies.

Still, I wonder if the calibration would be right. The pump uses a split throttle cable along with engine speed to meter the oil, so you'd need the SR cable but you'd be hooking it up to a bigger carb. This sounds like a recipe for disaster to me (too much throttle, not enough oil).

As I said previously, you'd have to be keen to take this project on, and you'd really want to know what you were doing.

As for SR ports being smaller David, this is not what I've heard, but who knows what variations are out there in different places? Somehow I doubt it though, because the production tooling costs for this would have been too high.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
One of our Japanese DRN'rs blew his KDX's super motards engine to pieces, apparently the oil injector did not do the job correctly, was OK for trail type riding but WFO on the road was just too much. Funny thing is, this guy had been warned to ditch the oil injector and go with the premix in order to prevent this from happening !!

aiden hallam

Aug 18, 2002
my kdx250sr is wicked i love it,parts are no problem with frame number.removed air box lid for instant power gain.found a bloke with fmf pipes with flange fitting so will be fitting one soon.the best bit is that it whapps my mates honda crm.and it looks the business.on the road its fine pulls 90 mph,off road even better.jumps good to.

craig-s

Jun 20, 2004
I've just pulled the exhaust from my 250SR the side valve ports are much smaller than the valve it's self, restictive me thinks. I had the same problem going from a A1 KMX200 to an A3. Time to get the Dremil out :)

Top Bottom