Treestomper

Sep 16, 2001
I have a 1974 TS185 that has oil injection on it. I want to just stop with that and pre mix. So what all do I have to plug up on change in the carb to make it run right. The oil injection that is on their is the kind where the oil is injected into the engine somewheres but not to the carb at all.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
don't run pre-mix in this bike, if the oil injector doens't get the oil into the engine via the carb then the engine uses the oil to lube the crank bearings in addition to lubing the engine.

Treestomper

Sep 16, 2001
Well then is thei anyway to see if the system still works with out taking apart the engine. The enginehas been siting for about 4 years so i do not trust it that much.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Is the intake on the side of the engine, or behind the cylinder? If the carb feeds the crankcase from the side, the engine won't work with premix. Because of the design of the crankcase, premix won't lubricate the ignition side crank bearing.

If the bike has sat for a long time, remove the oil pump, lines, and tank, and clean them thoroughly. Be sure to prime the pump when you reassemble it, they are not self-priming.

You'll probably need to give the carb a thorough cleaning as well.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
On that bike, one line injects oil into the intake tract and the other line to the left crank bearing. If you want to remove the injector, you have to slpit the cases and drill a hole connecting the left case transfer and the left crank bearing. The hole allows oil to migrate to the crank bearing. If you decide go ahead with it, you can also expect to face a major carb re-jetting project.

Treestomper

Sep 16, 2001
ya that is what i expected. I guess i will just have to see if that injection system works or not. It was said to be working before it sat up but?? The bike will start right now but i have to give it a lot of gas to kep it going becaue the slow jet is gumed up and the head of it is stripped:ugg: . So i am going to try to find another card for it or try to use a reverse drill bit if they have one that small. Anyone ever got one of these out before.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
You might wanna invest in a tap kit. My friend got one from Sear's for like $50 and it everything in it to tap bolts out! I might get one this christmas just incase. you MIGHT be able to drill and tap the bolt put my friend snapped 2 bolts on his Banshee (****.) handlebar clamp and he dripped and tapped bolt out and was heck of alot better then having a shop do it for $80. Just a thought...:eek: :silly:

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
We currently vintage race a TS125 - we've removed the injector system and have a pressure feed line to the left main bearing.

Of course, we seized a piston before we got the feed amount correct. That's what vintage racing is - trial and error! If you'd like to see a pic (it's slightly modified from the original) here it is:
http://ahrma.northwest.tripod.com/CH_mf.jpg

Anyway - to get to the point - After gleaning at least 15 of these old beasts from various backyards and junk piles, we have yet to find one injector system that didn't work.

Suzuki did a darned good job on this system, and it seems pretty-near bullet proof. I'll bet if you clean it up and prime it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, if you don't have a source for a carburetor, I'd check out the AHRMA online ads - I'll bet you'll find one. http://www.ahrma.org/mart/webmart.html?

Good luck!

Treestomper

Sep 16, 2001
Thanks for the info. Also how do yu prime the oil pump. I can find a carb at a place near my house but have not checked yet but they have really anybike part you can thnk of.

Top Bottom