fishy7509

Oct 10, 2004
Hi, i just bought a 1999 rm 250 at the begining of summer ive rode it a handfull of times and decided to change the oil in the transmission. i drained the old oil and put the correct amount of oil back in. I then took it for a spin and put it back in the garage. i come out the next day to a small puddle of oil under my bike. it never leaked before i changed the oil. After looking further i noticed that it is might be coming from the seal on the shift shaft or the seal on gear shaft. i dont know for sure though. There is also fair amount of grease\oil on my carb. i dont know if it is from chain lube or not. i was wondering how could i tell which one it is and how hard are they to replace..... or if it is coming from another place that i might be missing to see. any help of advice will be helpfull
thanks, Jordon

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
How did the seal washer on the drain plug look? They should be replaced often, and are frequently lost. The oil may just be traveling along the bottom of the engine looking like a shift shaft or countershaft leak. Just a thought. It seems a bit coincidental that it started leaking after an oil change.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
I could very easily be the seal on the counter shaft or shifter shaft. Pretty common. Neither are hard to replace. Pull off the sprocket and/or the shift lever, pry the old one out and carefully press the new one in. You may have to drive it in -- if so, use a socket the same outside diameter as the new seal and tap it into place using a hammer to hit the socket - not the seal.

fishy7509

Oct 10, 2004
what should i use to pry out the seal in the manual for my bike it says to use a screw drive and pry it out along with removing the clutch and shifter shaft. i tried to work some on it tonight using a screw drive to pry on it but i didnt have much time cause i had to go to work. Is there an tips or suggestions to get the seal out or any special tool....also i noticed that a breather tube was plugged waith mud could that of been the reason that my sels are bad now

Top Bottom