Oil leak

foxa4

Jan 28, 2002
I have a 93 KDX 250 I am working on an oil leak at the drive shaft. I have searched all the past discussion about this problem and found all I need to know to fix it. My problem is I removed the sleeve and O ring and cleaned the lip seal to see if that stops the leak. In looking at the diagrams of the transmission assembly from the www.buykawasaki.com web site I noticed it shows 2 O rings. I only found one on my bike. I even looked up the diagram for a KDX200 it’s a little different but pretty much the same. It also shows 2 O rings the same part number. Dose anyone know if I need 2 O rings? Maybe that’s why it’s been leaking. Thanks for any response.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
I am having a similar problem with a leak on my 93 KDX 250. I am wondering, can you take all of this apart from the exterior, that is without spliting the cases? Also from what i have learned in my post, you need two o rings. How did you get your seal and things off the bike?

foxa4

Jan 28, 2002
2 O rings sound good to me! I have my doubts about removing the lip seal from the outside on the KDX250 I haven’t tried it yet all I have done is remove the sleeve that fits over the shaft and the O rings that’s behind it. I sprayed some cleaner in there to wash out any dirt around the lip seal. I’m just going to see if this fixes the problem. I tried to search the archives about this but it didn’t go back far enough so I search through all the past strings from the beginning. I can send you all the information I found in a word file to make it easier. It seemed like the guys who removed the lip seal from the outside had KDX 200s not sure if there is a difference good ol Canadian Dave said himself that it can be done but on a 250 not sure. If this fix doesn’t do it ill give it a try.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
Hey why don;t you send me and email in the word file as you replied earlier, that would be great. Email is motorcross_250@hotmail.com

foxa4

Jan 28, 2002
Yea no problem Ill have to do it tomorrow though because its at work

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
well from what i gathered from my bike, YES you do need 2 o-rings because there were two in my bike. However one of mine was ripped ih half so that is probably the cause of my leak and i can about guarantee that yours is caused by a MISSING o-ring! so that is good news for you and me both. From what i have learned and seen i think that the lip seal can be removed with a seal puller or something of the sort and pressed back into place with a socket. Probably not the "correct" way to do it, but it would work. It does sound like both of our problems are orriginating where the o-rings are in place as those are what do the brunt of the OIL stopping and the lip is more or less like a dust seal similar to the dust seals on your forks. In conclusion, thanks for all your help and i'm glad i could give you the answer you were looking for as far as your problems were concerned.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…