yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Hey guys, here's my problem and it just be because I worry about things too much, but I went out to work on my bike for the ride this weekend, and usually I just fill up the oil to the check hole. But this time I figured that I would put in the specified amount of oil and see when it starts coming out the hole. I put in 14oz, (I don't know the ml conversion because my syringe that I fill it with only has oz) but the book says to fill with 25 oz. At 14 oz it started coming out the fill hole, the bike was flat and level. So should I put the rest in? My concern is that maybe I'm changing the oil all wrong, should you heat up the bike first and then drain it, that's what the manual says but I've never done this. If you don't heat it up before the oil change, will some old oil stay in the case and throw off my measurements. Sorry to sound like such a newbie, I really am not I just never changed the oil properly, any advise would be greatly appreciated,
THanks in advance
Jeff

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I remember a thread about this very subject, even Yamah specific. The amount of oil needed to get you to the check hole is less than the amount recommended for a complete fill at change. I measure the full amount with a ratio-rite cup and put it all in. It seems that the check hole is merely a way to make sure you arent' running dangerously dry. If you think about it, if you only fiull it to the check hole, you may very well have to lean the bike over to get some to pour out when checking it some time later.

I would get a cup to measure the proper amount of oil, or go tohttp://www.onlineconversion.com/ for your conversion value.

I've never even put a wrench to my oil check bolt, I just fill it and go. As long as there are no leaks, and you aren't pulling oil into the anti-freeze or through your seals, you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
great thanks so much rooster, I had a feeling that the oil hole wasn't right, I was kinda thinking it might be like a check oil light in your car, you don't fill the car until the check light goes off then stop. thanks for clearing that up,
My thanks
Jeff

2000SE

May 7, 2002
yeah i think i remember a thread about the yamaha oil fill level bolt being lower than the correct amount..search around for this topic here you find it...

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
If you are going from a empty ie new or rebuilt engine you can pour in the full amount in the manual-if you are only changing then you have a fair amount left inside no matter how you drain it out.I still fill to the 650ml specified in the manual as the cr benifits form running 50ml more than the manual says.Any excess is blown out the breather.You will only do damage if you use a full 1000ml in the example of the CR.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yep. i try to drain it at the track at the end of the day, i take my drain tank with me, undo the bolt and let it drain out whilst hot, leave it to finish draining for 10 mins. (or the time to pack up my gear) drain bolt back in, and just use the rough measure on the side of the bottle and add ~750mL. 3-4 rides later, repeat. I am sure if something is wrong, you will find out sooner or later. But i think you might need to be more precise if you run a CRF!

dont worry dude, be happy. I try to save up all my worries, stress and tension for my jetting!:) none left for my oil level!:p

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
really? does everyone else drain their oil when it's warm....this is a very new concept to me, for the last 12 years of riding I've never changed the oil while warm. goes to show you that you learn something new everyday (but it shouldn't be something as simple as oil changes) i feel stupid!!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
dont feel stupid, i patented that claim after two rides recently the bike was chattering out of corners. i thought it was the old chain, someone else rode it and it turns out it was detonating really bad. went to change the needle clip....guess what, it had come off!!

dont think it really matters much doing the oil hot or cold just a silly habit, i sometimes do it at home with a cold engine also.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I change mine when its warm, i think it helps get all the old clutch particles out..
Rick

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
All of you guys know why it's better to do it warm, right? It's because the viscosity of the oil it's reduced with the temperature, so it will flow better out of the engine... That's all...

You don't like to warm it first? Fine, it's that just a little bit of old oil won't come out. No big deal...

TFR

Oct 25, 2000
The reason for this is that you have to give the oil a chance to flow through to the other side of the engine. I've seen this a lot. The check hole is right near where you're filling it so it comes right out and people assume its full. Same thing with the window on the KXs but if you check after the oil flows to the other side you'll see it's way below the mark. People run their engines and smoke there clutch and I tell them there's no oil in there. When I asked if they let it flow through I get that blank stare. JIM-2fastracing

Top Bottom